Tank/Stand
HOB Skimmer
Sand
Rocks
RO/DI 5 stage with dual TDS meter
waver maker/flow creator
Lighting (DIY)
Lighting controller (DIY)

Hopefully I'm not missing anything but I want to verify. I can buy most of the rest of what I need, rocks/rodi system/hydor 1050 this tuesday but the lighting will have to wait till I get paid again so i'm not in a total hurry.

Heater
Test kits (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH to start)
Refractometer with calibration fluid (for testing salinity)
Thermometer

In a 55 gallon tank, you are better off having two powerheads, especially if you are getting the Hydor Koralias. Saltwater tanks need a lot more flow/water movement than freshwater tanks.

That's all I can think of right now. But it's super early in the morning and my mind isn't all here right now. ;)

Heater
Test kits (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH to start)
Refractometer with calibration fluid (for testing salinity)
Thermometer

In a 55 gallon tank, you are better off having two powerheads, especially if you are getting the Hydor Koralias. Saltwater tanks need a lot more flow/water movement than freshwater tanks.

That's all I can think of right now. But it's super early in the morning and my mind isn't all here right now. ;)

Test kits, got them when I picked up my HOB skimmer at a garage sale a few weekends ago.

Refractormeter, its in the draw waiting to be used.
Thermometer is going to be involved in the DIY controller I'm building.

In regards to heater, what temperature is good? My freshwater 20 runs at 77-78 unless I turn on the heater to get it to 80. My house sites at 74.

Already plan on buying two 1050 Hydor Koralias, as that is on my list of stuff left to buy.

Salt is on the list as well. I'm thinking IO reef salt but now looking at Kent and others after reading a thread on that.

Anything else anyone? I'm at least 2 months out from doing live stock/reefs so I am not worried about that stuff yet.

Not that I am that experienced, but I would get a new test kit. Who knows how long that one was sitting waiting to be sold, let alone sitting in a box or cabinet. And as for the rock, you need 1 to 2 pounds per gallon, same with the sand. Buy the majority dry rock and seed it with some good live rock. No, you don't need to buy "live" sand. It will turn live from the live rock that you seed with.

Already have 60 lbs of sand and getting 40 more that I will probably sell when I order the rock. I'm getting 50 lbs for 85 bucks and then going to order another 10 and then one or two of the live rocks to finish everything out. I will test the test kit and pick up a new one if it isn't good. I'm just trying to figure out if there is anything else which is needed that isn't on my list. Just to make sure I know to pick it up. Some of the stuff I have purchased and some of it will be purchased in the next 2 weeks. Thanks all.

Check the expiration dates on the test kits. They should be marked. If your tank will stay in the 76 to 80 range without a heater, then you don't need one (I have not had to use heaters with my tanks). You will want to ensure that temperature swings are minimized, though. You don't want big drops or gains in temperature over a 24 hour period. If your tank stays within a couple degrees at all times, you will be fine.

Back