What does it really mean

Kwater

Chill
Now hopfully if this questin is answered it will help slot more people than just me. First we all can test water but do we all know how to fix a problem or what caused the problem if there is one. So here is my questin.

What is phosphate. What causes it and what do I do if it is high or low.

What is ammonia. What makes it and what do we do if it's high or low.

What is calcium. What causes it and what makes it go high and what makes it go low. How do we fix it if it is high or low.

Same with aklinity.

If u guys know of any other ones i'm missing pleaz add them.

We may be able to test it but do we know what it really is and everything about it or are we just doing what we thaink we halft to do. I would love these answered because I want to get further into the hobby. Thanks

phosphate
Phosphate and the Reef Aquarium by Randy Holmes-Farley - Reefkeeping.com

ammonia
Ammonia and the Reef Aquarium by Randy Holmes-Farley - Reefkeeping.com

Calcium/Alkalinity and their balance
Calcium and Alkalinity by Randy Holmes-Farley - Reefkeeping.com

check those links out, they explain it better than anyone on this site can. phosphate is a little tough to understand...

oh, more articles can be found under the chemistry section at http://reefkeeping.com/issues/subject/chemistry.php

Excellent links Nathan. Using info from a truly amazing man when it comes to understandng the chemistry involved in reef tanks.

Kwater- Good question. I have felt the same way.

I test, somethings off, then what do I do. I bought a lot of stuff and thrown into the tank to bring this or that up or down, only to then send something else off the charts. I have wiped out everything in each of my tanks at one point. Now I try to do things naturally and not react so quickly (panic mode). Honestly if someone asked me what to do to bring that up or to lower this I could not tell them with certainty and after 2 years of trying to figure it out... I haven't!

Thanks berry much for those links. It is a piece of the puzzle to sucsfull tank care. Thanks. And I'm glad that u got something of of this post too dcantucson

There is a series of articles in our own forum thread Technical Archive of Aquarium Articles that will cover a lot of the information you are seeking. I encourage all to browse our article library as well. Thanks for your indulgence.

Back