What else should I add?

emily120289

Reefing newb
I have a 37g 10g sump soon to be mixed reef.. Im looking for more inverts/fish to add.. heres what I have so far..

(FISH)
x2 Tomato Clowns (Pair 1 Male 1 Female)
x1 Magenta Dottyback

(INVERTS)
x1 Peppermint Shrimp

Looking to add maybe 2 smaller fish, or 1 "bigger" sized fish.. For inverts Im not too sure.. I would really like an urchin and maybe a few others different inverts. Any suggestions?

For fish, maybe a diamond watchmen to clean the sandbed? Every time my tanks get visitors I always get a "why the hell is that fish eating sand"? Then I get to explain it to the, and they watch him for like 5 minutes.

Looked up the dottyback you have on some sites, since I don't have a lot of experience when them, and a few said

"It may become aggressive towards other Pseudochromis or fish with similar body shapes. It is easy to keep in an aquarium when provided with numerous hiding places."

That should help give some ideas. But I'm too pissed at the broncos to think of more cool things

For inverts, an urchin is cool, but be warned, you will come home one day and see hermit crabs and snails on their back. I've come home to my 2 urchins taking a combined total of 2 small hermits and 6 snails on a high-speed joy ride.

But they are cool to watch, and do good work on algae. You could also get a pacific cleaner shrimp

goodluck with whatever you end up doing!

I would only go for one more fish. Tomato clowns get pretty big and can also be quite aggressive. I'd go for a small wrasse, a blenny or a goby.

Unfortunately none of the Macropharyngodon wrasses, especially the Kuiteri would do well in such a small tank. The Macropharyngodon have issues with feeding and parasites and are very active fish. But, the Kuiteri have more issues with acclimation to home aquariums. If you want a wrasse, I'd look at a smaller bodied wrasse.

I would not recommned a sea urchin - they scrap coraline algae off the live rock and in a smaller tank like yours - it would clean it out in a few days. They are kind of cool though. You may have a problem with aggression with the magenta dottyback. I have one and its was very aggressive towards clown gobies and a fire dartfish - and i specfically bought a very small dottyback and he was added after the other little guys. I have a 110g tanks so things have settled down now (lots of space for everyone).
How about a flame angelfish - i have one and they are just striking.

Unfortunately none of the Macropharyngodon wrasses, especially the Kuiteri would do well in such a small tank. The Macropharyngodon have issues with feeding and parasites and are very active fish. But, the Kuiteri have more issues with acclimation to home aquariums. If you want a wrasse, I'd look at a smaller bodied wrasse.

This.
We've had trouble getting the Kuiteri Wrasses to accept food too. The last 3 we've gotten in wouldn't eat and eventually starved to death even after being put in our 300 gallon reef.

Anyone have any experience with
Saltwater Aquarium Fish for Marine Aquariums: Yellowtail Reef Basslet, Liopropoma mitratum

Right now my fish/invert list is..

(Have)
x2 Tomato Clowns (male/female)
x1 Magenta Dottyback
x1 Peppermint Shrimp

(Want)
Diamond Watchman Goby
Yellowtail Reef Basslet
Neon Goby
Pink Bar goby
Starry Blenny
Tailspot Blenny
Canary Blenny
Longnose Hawkfish

Cleaner Shrimp
Maxima Clam

For the fish just looking for opinions.. will eventually decide on 1 or 2 fish from the list

Back