What is next...?

Hum.. Just tested my calcium... had to put in 32 drops before it turned purple.... So I guess my tank is having an overdose of calcium??lol... It makes it to 640....How can I put it down...? Water changes??? I just added another 40 lbs of rocks yesterday... Could it be why..?

Do you add any chemicals to your tank? Calcium is the obvious additive. How about Purple Up? You can do water changes, but test your new water after you mix it up to see how much calcium it has in it (some salts are high in calcium).

Hey....

Well.. Yeah... I know you told me that using my purple up would be a waiste right now as my rocks are curing... But I used it twice...lol... i just can't wait for my rocks to turn purple!! Hum.. I use the Kent Marine Sea Salt... So not sure about the calcium in it...

I guess I will do a water change..... And see if I can get the calcium to go down..... But if my salt has too much calcium in it, I will never be able to use the purple up????

Do you have good lights on your rocks? You'll need lighting for the coralline to start growing. I doubt the salt has too much calcium in it. Calcium being too high is rarely a problem. You should get a calcium test eventually, but for right now I don't think it will be too high. Adding Purple Up only brings my calcium up to about 400, so it shouldn't make that much of a difference.

Kent Marine is my choice for salt. It has extra stuff in it and is formulated to provide a higher buffering level. You do not need to use purple up at this point and your salt mix will provide adequate calcium, minerals, vitamins, etc until you get your system loaded with animals. Until you get the coraline algae going the purple up will not help you. Think of purple up as a food for coraline algae, so if you have none, and you overdose with purple up or dose the manufacturers recommended amount you are over dosing your system with calcium until you have something in the tank that uses calcium. I hope this helps to clear things up. Sometimes there just is not any way to speed things up. Coraline algae is one of those items that just takes time to establish, and patients is really needed here, if you boost too much and too fast you could experiance a crash which could be more difficult than going a bit slower. As your system starts to mature over the next three months, you will start to see some coraline algae spreading out. (TIP for success - Never add anything to your system unless you have tested and determined there is a defficientcy and the addition of the chemical will correct the problem.) If you feel you just must add the purple up do so at no more than 1/4 of the recommended dose and only at 1/2 the times recommended. this will help to not over dose, but 1st make sure you need the purple up. good luck keep us posted on your systems progress.

Hum.. Well right now, i just put the hood I had for my fresh water... There is only 1 fluorescent... which I know is not doing the job, but probably better then nothing now.... I bought a Current USA Outer Orbit 48" light on Dec 20th. The company told me they shipped the first one and that 4 days later, UPS reposted the package damaged. So they shipped out another one. I have my tracking number, and I am supposed to receive it tomorow..... :^:
This light should hopefully do the job..... I tought that Purple Up was helping the corraline to grow.... So I have to wait until it grows before I start adding purple up in my tank...?

And Bifferwine, I have a calcium test, and I tested my calcium level already.. That s why I said that my tank is overdosing on calcium... I think it tested at 640....

Oh, in that case, you might not want to add the Purple Up. Like jhnrb said, the Purple Up will help it grow, but you have to have some already... You can get a scraping from another tank and put it in yours, that will help get it established. It will still take time (mine is starting to look nice and purple finally, and my tank has been up for a year now).

I bought a 55 2 yrs ago beautiful saltwater tank covered in coraline on the powerhead the filter the skimmer everywhere his choice for lighting just the strip lights just enough light to feed the coraline and suppress the algae. It all depends on what your attempting to accomplish are you going to hold corals in this tank? If so your going to need lighting if not you can go with the strip lighting. hope this helps.

Tripping out!!!!!!!!!!

100_1597.JPG

100_1596.JPG

100_1595.JPG

100_1591.JPG

100_1611.JPG

100_1609.JPG

100_1608.JPG

100_1626.JPG

100_1613.JPG

100_1617.JPG

Here we go!!! I'm already starting to trip ouT!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I found a fish tonight in my tank!!!!!!! Where the heel did he came from??? It is so small, it is almost a lime green color.... Looks lile a snake swimming around everywhere.... And it is so fast... i tryed to take pix of it... Is it even a fish?? or a worm??? LOL!!!!

And also, i found a piece of coral... WIll it keep on growing??

I finally got the light........ almost a month later..... Looks great now!! And i added the 50 lbs of rock again.. So i'm up to 140 lbs of rocks now.... So here is the updated pix of the tank!! :^: :bounce: :bounce: :D :D

And bifferwine and Jelleyman.... I do have some spots of corraline on my live rock. is it enogh for it to start growing in my tank??

Thanx for all the help!!!!!!!

I dont know the answeres to the rest, but one lil spot of coraline is all it takes, over time it should spread. If it dies off due to a algae out break or somting eating it you might have to put some more in, not for sure though.

Yes hon if you keep up with the waterchanges and params the coral will continue to grow, yes your spots of coraline will slowly seed in your tank and the green thing I dont know what it is could be a number of things good job keep us posted!!

Hum.. Well the green fish... or whatever this strange creature was ... is not there anymore.... maybe it s hiding in a rock or something... But I tryed to find it today, and it was nowhere to be seen... Weird.....

As for the corraline, Bifferwine stated it took her almost a year to grow on her rocks... Realistically, how long does it takes for the rocks to turn bright purple??? ABout 1 year or so???? Wow.. Must have some crazy patience....

The coraline might take awhile, because you'll have algae out breaks. My coraline started right away and spread through out the tank, but then I had a algae outbreak and it killed most of it. If you want to see something really cool at night take a led light preferablly red because inverts cant see red, and look in your tank you will probably see all kinds of life. Most stuff on rock comes out at night to feed, and its like a whole nother world in there. Just give it a try and let us know what you see. You dont have to use red. I use a white one, but red wont scare off the creatures.

I just use one of those little keychain flashlights. I turn off the lights and come back an hour later and just scour the tank with my little flashlight. That's the only time I get to see my two peppermint shrimp anyways.

Really...??? Hum.. That s probably why I seen the fish (or worm) in my tank once the blue lights were on.... Hum....Well i guess I will check tonight to see that.... OH and I found a feather duster yesterday!! I think this is it..... But it is so tiny now.... ANyhow, Starting to trip out for real!! Love to find stuff in there!! lol...:^:

Jelleyman, Yes, I know!!! This is amazing!!! I had some doubts that i would see stuff like that.. Especially the fish!! That was crazy!!! Even tho it is nowhere to be found now....

One more question, about the algae.... Do ALL the tanks without exception have to go trough an algae outbreak? Anything i can do about it? Right now, i have some algae that is starting to grow on my rocks. Some rocks almost look furry. Anything I can do??? I want some CORRALINE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! lol.....No ugly browish, goldish algae! :grumble:

What if I buy snails? Will it eat my ugly algae? Could snails survive at this point in my tank? or would they die?

You should wait untill the cycle is over to add inverts, they cant handle it and will most likely die. What are your perameters now?

Back