What is the best temperature / salinity

Altohombre

The Tennis Pro Reefer
I see so many ranges in both of these. One site will tell me 75 degrees, the next 78-82. Also salinity seems to be ok in a range of 1.021-1.026. However sites that offer livestock seem to say things like clownfish have a certain salinity. How to I come up with an average to keep?

my tank ranges from 76-80 degrees and i have never checked my salinity ant different temp but what i do is when i am doing a water change i check to see what the tank is than i drain and mix as to what is was in the main tank i keep my tank at 1.022-.023 and every thing seems to be happy.

Well natural seawater's salinity, if i'm not mistaken, is 1.026. Not sure about temperature, mainly because it depends on the region. So i guess you want your aquarium to resemble the sea as close as possible.

It doesn't really matter that much. Anything in those ranges will be fine. There are very few animals that require a specific salinity or temperature. Keep in mind that temperature swings are more dangerous than consistently high or consistently low temperatures. You want to try to keep your tank within a couple degrees over a 24 hour period. Mine usually stays between 76 and 80, but there have been times when I've accidentally left the windows open at night and it's dropped to 67 or when I've left the lights on too long and it's gone up to 85. Those large swings are what you need to try to avoid.

Biffs nailed the temp part of the question.
As for salinity,Most fish dont really care about it as long as its stable.Inverts on the other hand like the higher salinity.IMO,anything under 1.023 is to low for inverts.That being said,I keep my salinity at 1.026 S.G. or 35ppt salinity.

check the specific areas of the ocean where you are looking to collect. Garibaldi are cold water and won't like it in an 80 degree tank. Sharks and rays like it a bit colder with lower salinity. It will depend on your tank, but unless you are shooting for a specialized tank, 76-82 is perfectly fine and .021 - .026 is just fine as well

-Doc

Back