what kind of pods

reefnoob

Reefing newb
What kind of pods do mandarins eat? I've tried tisbe and tiggers but they don't survive in my fuge. I have a bunch of really weird looking bugs that might be some sort of pod...I don't know what they are...I can't take a good pic of them either. Some are sort of torpedo shaped withh a little pinkish circle in the middle. And some of them are long-about 3-5 mm long with a curled tail that can sometimes stick straight up. I also have some smaller things that I can't really tell what the features are. Anyone have any idea what I'm describing? And do you think a mandarin will eat them? Cause my fuge has TONS of them. Sorry for all the text

so i have isopod munnids, but the other kinds i have arent there. do you think a mandarin will eat all these? will mandarins eat something the size of a mysis shrimp? because one kind of pod i have that roams all over the refugium is just a little smaller than the mysis i feed my fish.

It really depends on the individual fish. Some dragonets have been known to readily accept prepared foods while others would starve to death if not provided a specific type of copepod that they like.

Some fish would even change their mind after some time.
My Scooter dragonet suddenly decided that it will tolerate frozen mysis and blood worms after moving to the new tank.
It absolutely refused to eat prepared foods in the old tank - but I think this is because the new tank still has a very low population of 'pods and it has to eat something else.

2 thoughts: First, I don't think your pods are surviving because your mandarin is eating and demolishing the population before it has a chance to get established - have you considered trying to train it to eat frozen instead? As for the isopods, I had a problem with isopods in my tank, added a six-line wrasse, and haven't seen one since. I'd suggest adding a small wrasse to your tank to take care of them!

Ha, then I am completely wrong! Maybe the isopods are eating them?

Since you don't have a mandarin yet, look to buy a mandarin that eats frozen - ask your LFS if they can order you one from ORA, as the tank-bred mandarins eat frozen food and then you won't have to worry about the pods.

Your other ones that look about the size of misis could be these

amphipods

Its the same question i had a wile back and i was told to look at these and they where right.

I think it could possibly be amphipods as well, but I still don't know. It could probably be anything! But based on the descriptions, do you think a mandarin will eat it? I've been researching for months to see if I can have/provide for a mandarin.

Yes and No, If your Mandarine is on the bigger side, it will eat some of the smaller amphipods. And some of the smaller madarins might eat the ones they can manage to fit into there small mouth. Mine Eats the amphiapods but hes fairly big. I Still add copepods atleast 1 every month, i get them for a good price at 14 bucks a bottle. But ever since i added my refugium i see them like crazy in there so i might cut back to adding them every 2 months. just in case.

The bottle i add says tiger pods. And i just add them to the tank, they feed on algea so they are also kinda like part of the CUC. In my refugium i sometimes add a teaspoon of phytoplankton and zooplankton. also do this in the tank when i feed my corals, i use a phytoplankton mix with coral frenzy for my carals. So im sure they eat good.

Well to be honest those are the only ones i ever add and my madarin is doing fine, also my scotter blenny who i have had even longer is also doing great. How do you know they die ???? they are so small how can you see them dead ??? i know that when i added these that when i got the amphiopods. So i think it may have more than just tigerpods.

You can see the tigger pods pretty clearly. They are like 1-2 mm each and red. So they are pretty easy to spot. Over about a week or 2 they would slowly disappear, although I don't know where the bodies go.

But my problem is that they never survive. I bought them twice and dumped them in the fuge both times. Yet for some reason they still disappear.

But my problem is that they never survive. I bought them twice and dumped them in the fuge both times. Yet for some reason they still disappear.

Are you sure that they died? or have just found suitable hiding places?
Not all of them prefer to hang out on the glass where they could be picked off by predators.

Back