What lighting would you recommend

kmart189

Reefing newb
If I were to add some soft easier to take care of cheaper corals to my tank what would you guys recommend for a 150 with 40 gal. sump octo ext 200. I want to stay away from metal halides . I don't know anything hardly about keeping corals so what starters types would you recommend. I just want to add a little color to the tank instead of the coralline and brown rock. The other thing is that I should probaly take into consideration is that it is a 150 tall so it is deeper.

livestock...
v lion
harlequin tusk
zebra moray
snowflakee moray
clown grouper

As deep as your tank is,you'll about have to run metal halides.But you can probably get by with a good set of T-5s to,as long as you stick with stuff like leathers,zoos,mushrooms, and stuff like that.
Maybe a set of Currents Nova Extreme Pros.

Ok so if im going to have to upgrade in the future anyway I guess I should go with the MH plus they seem a lot cheaper after looking at the prices.
How many watts would you recommend

Last edited:
I dont like going by the watts per gallon rule. It is very vague but sometimes I use as a broad guideline. In todays world things like intensity and mar are much more desired things in lighting. If you were to use the WPG rule I would say 3-5 watts per gallon for moderate light corals and over 5 for higher light corals. But in a tank that deep MH`s because of high intensity would be the way to go. Remember you can save alot of money by doing retro fits.

I like Mike and Davids suggestions.
If dont have a canopy,look at the T-5/HQI fixtures. If you've got a canopy,then retro-fit some T-5s and halides.
That'll also get you set up in case you ever decide to go full reef.

I meant "par" on my previous post and not "mar". I know yote was talking about if you dont have a canopy what you could do. I like the no canopy look using retro fits. I have it on my tank with VHO retro fits.

I dont like going by the watts per gallon rule. It is very vague but sometimes I use as a broad guideline. In todays world things like intensity and par are much more desired things in lighting. If you were to use the WPG rule I would say 3-5 watts per gallon for moderate light corals and over 5 for higher light corals. But in a tank that deep MH`s because of high intensity would be the way to go. Remember you can save alot of money by doing retro fits.

Okay how do I judge par and intensity Isn't the wattage a good judge of how intense the light will be?

I don't have a cannopy either. Thanks for your help so far

I like the no canopy look using retro fits.

How do you use retrofits without a canopy? That's what they are for... canopies.

High Output T5's can give you a lot of light and you can keep pretty much anything. In your tank I think you would be fine with softies at the bottom and sps at the very top. At the very least some easy sps like monti-caps or digitas. You can get something like a 6 or 8 bulb fixture with moonlights for nighttime.

How do you use retrofits without a canopy? That's what they are for... canopies.

100_1670.jpg

100_0972.JPG

As you can see I have VHO retro fits. Endcaps on the bulbs that go down to two ballasts under the tank hooked up to a switch and timer. I have the reflective hood catching any stray lighting and sending it back into the tank.

Back