What should I be testing for?

R3verb

Time to add some coral!
Hey guys. So I have a 90 gal tank and right now it's fish only (save one brain coral). I want to move it to a full blown SPS tank. Right now, I am just testing PH, Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate and salinity. I want to get everything I need for the SPS coral before I get the coral. Now that I have my nitrogen cycle under control, what should I start testing for next? Calcium? Iodine? Phosphates? I am guessing I will have to have all of them at some point but I would love to know in what order to do that in. Thanks!

Casey

With sps's, you'll need to start testing for phosphates, alkalinity, calcium, and occasionally magnesium...on top of what you're already testing for.

+1 Smitty.. Once you get itno SPS that is when you will find your tank may start needing dosing.. So make sure you have the tests he suggested plus the normal..
I ended up dosing my tank on a daily basis now..

Thanks guys. Marcah, what do you dose? At some point I am going to get a calcium reactor so that should take care of calcium but anything else you would recommend? I have an extra dosing pump lying around right now actually that I got from a friend so I was wondering what to do with it lol.

like Fast said.. I think waterchanges ( I switched from Instant Ocean to Instant Ocean reef crystals) since I did my magnesium and alkalinity have held up nicely doing regular waterchanges.. The big one is calcium. I didnt want to hook up another machine on the tank so I just dose daily using Kalkwasser, I like to keep my calcium near 450.. Just remember when you dose Kalkwasser ( if you chose to go that route) it will raise your ph so checking PH daily also is important until you get your routine down pat.. Ph should hold steady at the level you choose I keep mine around 8.2 dont let it get above 8.4 at any time..

Back