What should i do ?........

Hey everyone thanks for all the comments and help. Well last night i was looking at my tank and i came across this green looking worm. From what I can see it had lots of legs......Now this is the best pic i could get so I hope it helps out, even though its really blurry.........

green worm in tank.jpg

You really should let the saltwater mix before trying to measure the salinity. If you measure it right after adding the salt, you are going to get a wrong reading. Let it mix with a powerhead for at least several hours before you try to measure salinity. Even better, let it mix for 24 hours to ensure that all the salt is dissolved and the concentration is equal throughout the container.

And the salinity doesn't have to be exact. Why do you need it to be at 1.025? You are going to be adding it to your tank, which undoubtedly will have a different salinity anyways. If you get it in the correct RANGE for our tanks, then it won't shock the system or change your system's salinity too much (think of it this way -- if you are only doing a 10% water change on a tank, and the tank's salinity is 1.025 and your new water's salinity is 1.023, the small amount of new water you're adding (1/10th of the original amount) is not going to make a noticeable difference).

Large salinity swings need to be avoided, but as long as the new water is within the correct range (1.021 to 1.026), it will be fine.

LOL......another question........I am actually in the process of buying my clean up crew now, but can i add 1 fish or so with the snails and stuff or is that too much at once? I was about to purchase 2-peppermint shrimp, 3-cerith snails, and 3-banded trochus snails. If I am able to add a fish or so what would be recommended? Thanks

I would wait a bit with the peppermint shrimp....... I would not really consider them part of a clean up crew...... they will ususally perish in unstable water conditions......

I would wait a bit with the peppermint shrimp....... I would not really consider them part of a clean up crew...... they will ususally perish in unstable water conditions......

Well honestly the only reason i was gonna add the peppermint shrimp is because i have glass and antispia anemones (i think thats how you spell it) infestation, like really bad. On each peice of my rock i have like 4-6 of those things. I mean i just didnt want to them to start hurting fish or corals when i start stocking the tank little by little.

You really should let the saltwater mix before trying to measure the salinity. If you measure it right after adding the salt, you are going to get a wrong reading. Let it mix with a powerhead for at least several hours before you try to measure salinity. Even better, let it mix for 24 hours to ensure that all the salt is dissolved and the concentration is equal throughout the container.

And the salinity doesn't have to be exact. Why do you need it to be at 1.025? You are going to be adding it to your tank, which undoubtedly will have a different salinity anyways. If you get it in the correct RANGE for our tanks, then it won't shock the system or change your system's salinity too much (think of it this way -- if you are only doing a 10% water change on a tank, and the tank's salinity is 1.025 and your new water's salinity is 1.023, the small amount of new water you're adding (1/10th of the original amount) is not going to make a noticeable difference).

Large salinity swings need to be avoided, but as long as the new water is within the correct range (1.021 to 1.026), it will be fine.

Thanks Biff, Now that you mention i think that might have been my problem. I dont think i let it sit long enough......oops....lol. Well i guess that is apart of this hobby, you learn from your mistakes and progress right. Well i'll start making my water way ahead of time that i can make sure it is properly mixed and disolved. Thanks again.

Well honestly the only reason i was gonna add the peppermint shrimp is because i have glass and antispia anemones (i think thats how you spell it) infestation, like really bad. On each peice of my rock i have like 4-6 of those things. I mean i just didnt want to them to start hurting fish or corals when i start stocking the tank little by little.

if you can reach them....... get some joes juice and kill them that way..... at least the ones you can get to........ that will keep them in check until the water quality is good enough for peppermint shrimp to survive.

if you can reach them....... get some joes juice and kill them that way..... at least the ones you can get to........ that will keep them in check until the water quality is good enough for peppermint shrimp to survive.

To be honest i was going to try to get rid of them naturally because i heard that the joes juice stuff is a real pain in the butt, so let me ask this what does the water quality suppose to be like or whatever is needed for me to have peppermint shrimp? Thanks for any info.

The tank needs to cycled,and fairly stable with low nitrates for about any invert.
One thing that makes aiptasia so hard to control,is they release spores when they are dieing or threatened which grow into new anemones.
There is a product called Aiptasia X that I tryed.It worked great.Its actually like a food to the aiptasias.They eat it then it hardens inside them,preventing the release of the spores.You just cover the anemones oral disk with the stuff and they eat it,then they melt away,plus its completely safe with corals,fish,and other inverts.

The tank needs to cycled,and fairly stable with low nitrates for about any invert.
One thing that makes aiptasia so hard to control,is they release spores when they are dieing or threatened which grow into new anemones.
There is a product called Aiptasia X that I tryed.It worked great.Its actually like a food to the aiptasias.They eat it then it hardens inside them,preventing the release of the spores.You just cover the anemones oral disk with the stuff and they eat it,then they melt away,plus its completely safe with corals,fish,and other inverts.

Cool, thanks for the advice Yote. Ill take the advice you and acer have given me and figure out which one I will be using.

Hey there again, I was just wondering what are some other hardy fish that i can add to my tank other than damsels. I was thinking about getting maybe clownfish or something.

hey thanks again for all the help. My sister wants me to set up her 60 gallon for a saltwater tank. I was wondering what would be a good skimmer for that tank? Also do you have to a sump setup for FOWLR? Also how much flow do you have to have in a 60 gal? Thanks for any help.

hey thanks again for all the help. My sister wants me to set up her 60 gallon for a saltwater tank. I was wondering what would be a good skimmer for that tank? Also do you have to a sump setup for FOWLR? Also how much flow do you have to have in a 60 gal? Thanks for any help.

you don't NEED a sump for any tank! however, they help with water stability, a place for pods and critters to grow that make their way into the display tank to feed the fish... and a good place to hide equipment that would normally be in the display tank. If you are doing a hang on skimmer, I've always been a huge fan of the CPR bakpak skimmer.. now, it's been 8 years since I"ve used a HOB skimmer, I know there have been some new ones made since that that do a great job... if you do have a sump... there are a ton a good skimmers out there..... I still like the euroreef or asm skimmers.... but again... there are a lot to choose from.

flow is subjective again.... if it's a FOWLR then flow doesn't have to be huge..... maybe a couple koralia 2's... or one 3 and one 2... is this a 3' or 4' tank?

Other good HOB skimmers are the Aqua C Remora Pro, any of the Octopus brand skimmers, and a lot of people like the Coralife Super Skimmers, although some people think they're too finicky.

Back