What should I spend my $$ on....

koda_dad

Mr. Paranoid
Hi all,

I need opinions...

I was currently looking at Vertex 250 Skimmer that I have found for an amazing price... $300 cdn (1 month old)

I recently up'd my budget for my new tank... and I am trying to decide between spending the extra cash on either a) a Bubble King Mini 200 (again slightly used 3 months old) or
b) a Profilux 2 controller.

I saw the Vertex 250 working and it seemed to be pulling a ton of stuff from an empty tank... are bubble kings that much better?

What does everyone think I would get the best bang from...

Hard to say. I have the Vertex IN100 (Gen 2) and it's built very well. However I'm not happy with it. The skimming is great and the build quality is excellent, but the pump is noisy as hell. I haven't set out to find a replacement yet, but I'm kind of a plug and play sort of guy and don't want to hassle with finding a better pump. Still on the fence about what to do, it's about as loud as an old microwave. I've shut it off several times just so I don't have to put up with it. It's not a normal pump level.

All I can say is that I wish I had spent the extra $100-200 and bought a skimmer with a quality pump. I think it's a resun on the vertex. Ask if you can try it out for a night. :mrgreen:

You are deciding on a skimmer or a controller?

Get the skimmer first,the controller is not a necessity.I know very little of the Bubble King.It looks just like everything german protein skimmers-overpriced and unnecesarily complicated and maintenance german skimmer.Adjust a knob here,adjust knob there,clean plate here etc,etc,etc.

You are deciding on a skimmer or a controller?

Get the skimmer first,the controller is not a necessity.I know very little of the Bubble King.It looks just like everything german protein skimmers-overpriced and unnecesarily complicated and maintenance german skimmer.Adjust a knob here,adjust knob there,clean plate here etc,etc,etc.

Not exactly...I was thinking of getting the Vertex IN250 to start... and if I get the controller that is what I will get.

But.... I was also thinking of upgrading the skimmer to the Bubble King Mini 200 (instead of the getting the in250 and controller)

Make more sense :)

Back