What size powerheads???

I'm just setting up my first saltwater aquarium and not sure what size powerheads to run in my tank. My tank is a 50gal (20"wide, 18" deep, 31" tall) and I'm going to be running a Fluval 406 for filtration (380GPH). I'm going to start off fish only and when I get things figured out I would like to move to a reef tank. Do I need 1 or 2 powerheads? Where should they be positioned in the tank? I was thinking about running 2 Hydor Koralia Nano 240 Powerheads and putting them on a controller to only run one at a time. Please help me out and explain what I should do. Thanks in advance.

You will need a lot more flow than the nanos can provide -- they are meant for tanks that are like 10 gallons. Why only run one at a time?

Your tank is not a standard shape, but you should get two powerheads, and run them at the same time, one positioned in a back corner, near the top of the tank so that they create a ripple on the surface of the water. The other can be positioned anywhere else to keep the water moving. You do not need a controller. If you are going to get Koralias, get a pair of the Evolutions. I'd go with either the 550 gph or 750 gph ones.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info. This has been the issue with the powerheads that I'm not understanding. From all the info out there I understand you should be cycling the tank 10X per hour for fish only and 15-20X per hour for a reef tank. My filteration system is pumping (380GHP) with is cycling my tank 7.6X per hour. Now from my understanding a power head that is a 750 is moving 750GPH X 2= 1500GPH + 380GPH = 1880GPH. Now that would be 37.6X per hour, wouldn't that be to much? What am I missing here? Please help me understand because I really would like to get my setup right with good equipment. Thanks again

You want lots of flow. I run 2 of the koralia 1400 powerheads (thanks to Little Fish's advice) in my 60 gallon all the time and sometimes think I should stick another 1 in there. Don't bother with the nano powerheads.

Thanks for the info. This has been the issue with the powerheads that I'm not understanding. From all the info out there I understand you should be cycling the tank 10X per hour for fish only and 15-20X per hour for a reef tank. My filteration system is pumping (380GHP) with is cycling my tank 7.6X per hour. Now from my understanding a power head that is a 750 is moving 750GPH X 2= 1500GPH + 380GPH = 1880GPH. Now that would be 37.6X per hour, wouldn't that be to much? What am I missing here? Please help me understand because I really would like to get my setup right with good equipment. Thanks again

When it comes to power heads, don't over think it. You will want a pair of pumps like Biff suggested, and you can put a controller on those. The reason the Koralia 240 will not work, is it is just not strong enough to push water from one side to the other side in your tank. You want enough flow that it almost causes your sand to move around, not lift it and blow it.

More flow keeps the crap suspended and helps it exit the system through your over flow more efficiently, thus keeping the tank cleaner. So for comparison, on my 120 gallon tank, I have 2 Tunze Power heads each pumping 3200 GPH, :pooh: is fly out off that tank.

Ok great info guys, see you are saving me money already. I guess I will go with the Evolution 750's. Now should I have them on a controller or just let them both run all the time?

Koralia makes a controller for them. They are actually pretty cool, and you can set them to wave mode. It is fairly in expensive. That is the way I would do it.

I am not really that familiar with the Koralia wave maker, I have seen it in action at Reef A Palooza though. Just read the instructions that come with it. I also know that one of the members here, Phatroh, installed one, and he loves it. So you may want to PM him about it.

I am not really that familiar with the Koralia wave maker, I have seen it in action at Reef A Palooza though. Just read the instructions that come with it. I also know that one of the members here, Phatroh, installed one, and he loves it. So you may want to PM him about it.

Cool, thanks for the info

Back