What size tank for sump??

jmartin48

Reefing newb
Woot!! Here starts the newbie questions :D I've got a 55g display tank and I was wondering if a 10 gallon tank would be enough for sump or would a 20g be better?? I've got a line on a 20g tank but it's about an hour away from my house where the 10g is about 5 mins. But I would rather go with best if I have to. Thanks..

I know when I had my 55 gallon tank I had a 10 gallon sump. I do agree that if you have a 20 and it fits under there I would try it. More water volume is a wonderful thing.

+1 all above; I believe the minimum you want for a sump is 20% which in your case would be 12 gallons. As the others have mentioned, more gals = more fun...Oh and I hear having more water in your system ain't so bad either ;-) :lol:

You should go with the largest sump that you can fit in your stand.

Is it really worth it to drive an hour for a 20 gallon tank? Most stores sell them for around $20. If you have a Petco or Petsmart nearby, you could get one for $20 and save two hours worth of gas money.

I'll have to check on that. I've got a few local pet stores around i'll call them up and see what I can find. I think i'm gonna go with the 20 gallon. Thanks for all the help. :bowdown:

yea, Biff that might be true, but if your on an allowance for "fish stuff" like i am, but i'm not limited on what i spend on gas, then if i can get a deal on a tank and not be using up my "fish money" and i'm just useing up some of the gas budget, well, then thats a better deal for me!

Back