What to do next? I think my tank is cycled...

Alright, its now MIA back into the abyss where it came from, cant even spot it anymore, looked like some kind of maggot almost to me, just wanted to make sure it wasnt anything that would swim out one night and decimate my tank... sweet deal, so that live rock I got was actually pretty "live" thats good...

What you are describing sounds like amphipods.Your system,in time will have millions of them from nearly microscopic to a quarter inch.

Google amphipod and look at the images.

Where is that first valve? I dont think I have anything like that on mine... Its the 125 gph one if that makes any difference at all?

That first valve should be right inline between your skimmer pump and the skimmer itself.If yours dont have that valve,then you need to contact coralife and have them send it to you.

Those bubbles will eventually go away when your skimmer gets broke in.

Wow, i just got home from school today, and I think my skimmer is breaking in now... my bubble problem is almost gone, Id say I have half the bubbles I did before! woo hoo!

Oh my god, I'm finally trying to catch my fish to take them back and am understanding why you guys all wished me luck... these bastards are pretty smart... I have the net sitting in the water now hoping they will get used to it, but the second they saw it they are both hiding deep in the rocks... the white and black damsel wont even respond do his usual blue LEDs that he goes nuts over, no matter whats going on, he normally flies towards it and tries attacking it...

What do you guys think my odds are of catching these damn things with out removing every rock in my tank?? ahh what a nightmare
Maybe ill drop in my bottle trap i made and let them get used to it overnight if i cant catch them by the time i have to go to work...

Wow, wierd, i just noticed my shrimp molted... I thought for a second there was 2 of them in the same spot was i was surprised, then I noticed one was more transparent! weird, my first molt! Does that mean my shrimp is happy and growing?

What do you guys think my odds are of catching these damn things with out removing every rock in my tank?? ahh what a nightmare
Maybe ill drop in my bottle trap i made and let them get used to it overnight if i cant catch them by the time i have to go to work...

Slim to none:mrgreen:

I'd about bet a weeks pay that you buy a couple of small flies and go fishing in your tank pretty soon.:Cheers:

Think they will be able to get hooked on one?
I flyfish, and i have caught bluegills and stuff about their size at my dads lake before... Wonder if I have any of my flies in my regular tacklebox... do you recommend pushing down the barb so you can get them off easier with out killing thier face and eye balls?

I just called up to stevens point. and they have a lot more fish up there... with the maroon and tomato clowns, do they get along in pairs? I read in a few places they don't. and could those be the first new fish in my tank after the damsels are gone? and if I get them tonight cause ill actually have time will they be ok in my fuge for a while till I can fish out the damsels tonight? or are the bubbles bad for their gills like someone was saying today?

Don't get them until you have removed the damsels. You don't know how long it's going to take to catch those guys, and microbubbles are bad for fish.

Clowns will get along fine in pairs, usually. If you get a pair, make sure that one is much bigger than the other. The closer they are in size, the more likely they will fight.

I mean tonight is my only night of the week I'll have a chance to get anywhere to check out fish, and i dont wanna come home empty handed again, when I get home Ill pull all my live rock and catch these damsels that way, i dont wanna screw around with fly fishing in my tank... and ill get a hang on fuge and let them stay trapped in it overnight till the LFS opens tomorrow. And i do have to say so, but my micro bubbles in my display are almost gone! YEESSS! looks a million times better now. Someone said in a previous post clowns would be ok for first fish, anyone else agree? I dont wanna have to catch them to re-introduce new fish...

The damsels = captured... aww i almost got teary eyed, they are so scared now... they seem so depressed, I have them in a cheap little breeder hang on thing... think they will be ok in my refuge overnight? despite the air bubbles?
or is it safer leaving them in the in display refuge... its kinda small and clear, so they are scared they cant hide at the bottom...

Don't purchase two different species of clown.A maroon and a tomato will not get along.

Remember what I mentioned earlier,maroons don't easily pair regardless if one is smaller and the other is larger.Buy them only as a mated pair or take the risk of a fish fight ala' Mike Vick.If you do buy more than one,get them as very young juvis,1'' or less.

Last edited:
I had to put them in my fuge, it may be a little bubbly right now.. but they were VERY unhappy in that little thing, so depressed they couldnt swim down to safety, so I threw a little chunk of my rock in here for them to hide in and let them go in there, they seem to be doing better down there able to hide...

I didnt get the maroons, they were cool looking, but in that tank there were at least 3 or 4 hurting ones... 2 floating at top with either picked at fins or rotten fins... so i asked her what water in the tanks were all connected and got 2 false percula or whatever clowns from the tank that wasnt attached... a big and a small one

The happy new family!

Aquarium112.jpg

Back