What to do next? I think my tank is cycled...

These guys arent reclusive at all, they are just swimming around the tank together just chilling checking things out, they havent hid under a rock once yet like the damsels, is this normal? I thought clowns were territorial and would pick a spot to claim their stake at... Or are they just scared/nervous/curious yet?

The new aquascaping minus the damsels... I kinda like it, it gives more swimming room because the rock is stacked higher and more towards the back wall.
TankRe-aquascapedminusdamsels.jpg

pretty fish. Glad you are happy with them. Wait another week before adding new friends. Feed every other day, just enough for them to eat for about 3 minutes.

-Dr Marco :sfish:

They only need to eat every other day? I tried getting them to eat last night already, but only the little one would go after any food, and even then he would eat maybe 1 piece or 2, nothing like the damsels that would dart around and consume every spec in the tank. Is it normal for these guys to be slow labored swimmers? The bigger of the 2 clowns seems to almost move snake like when he swims, moving his whole body. They also never leave the top 1/2 of the tank, I got up this morning and they were both just sitting at the top, scared me cause i never saw my other fish in the top half, so i thought something was wrong...

clowns are named for their erratic and comical behaviors. You never know what to expect. Once they have explored, they will pics their "spot" and will stick to it and guard it. Even against your hand (mine will attack me when I more corals or rocks too close to their home).

As far as feeding, yes, every other day. You want to maintain high water quality. more food, more often means more nutrient and more poop more often which leads to more phosphates and nitrates. They only need foor every other day.

-Dr Marco :sfish:

It'll take them a few days to settle in. Once they're eating everything will be fine. Sometimes it takes them a few days to eat. What are you feeding them? Frozen foods are the best. The flakes and pallets leads to red algea problems.

Its normal for clowns to wiggle,especially when they are staying in one place.I also notice when clowns are first introduce,they don't use the rocks as a safe haven.Give em a little time to adjust to there new surroundings.Oh and congrats on you new additions.

I was feeding some flakes and pellets, but today I finally got some frozen foods. The littlest clown was all about grabbing up food, the big one not so much. but the little guy couldnt swallow the tiny little pellets even, so hopefully when I throw in some frozen food tonight after I get home from school they will eat. The frozen food wasnt too expensive, I was trying to find stuff to make my own, I know the head of the meat department at the local grocery store, but havent talked to him yet about getting uncooked scrap sea-food. I think the food I got is a mixture of meaty stuff, brine shrimp and all kinds of goodies packed into frozen cubes of goodness. I have a feeling I'm only going to need tiny portions of each cube though. Oh today I got my small 6 line wrasse, I took back the damsels and he gave me credit towards it... and i couldnt pass it up. I know someone said wait a week, but I removed 2 fish, replaced with 2 fish, so its only like adding 1 new fish right? Ill wait a few weeks and see if he can get me in my royal gramma then...

Man just fed them their first frozen food dinner, it was the carnivore stuff from san fransisco company or whatever, boy they loved that stuff. all 3 of the new fish gobbled it up, so they must be doing pretty good.

I just noticed my littlest clown has a string about 3/4 an inch long from the middle of his body, between his pectoral fins and anal fins, is that a string of poop? or some sort of parasite?? it looks flattish and brown kinda.. I know at the store I got him they were feeding him blood worms could that be a half digested one hanging out?

If it's not gone yet, it sounds like it's a parasite. Some sort of a tapeworm. Either that, or I have also heard of fish that have external parasites scratching themselves so much that their guts end up spilling out.

Keep an eye on him. But the prognosis is not good if it's a parasite.

Should i just let him be for a while and see if it disappears? oh aw i was typing this he was taking a ride in the fast current from the return pump and i saw it fly off...

If he passed it through him, and it wasnt a bloodworm exoskeleton of partially digested food, and it was a parasite that means it was dead to have him pass it out right?

Back