What To Do?

U4BOYZ

Got Fish?
My nitrates won't go below 10 mg. They're usually somewhere between 15-20 mg. My anemones aren't very happy, so I'm trying to get it down. Nothing is working. No products seem to help, I've cut wwaaayyyy back on feeding, I do a 33% water change weekly. I rinse my wet/dry filter pads when they look dirty. I added a huge piece of Chaeto.

My question is...Who uses filter pads?...either wet or dry...in their sump? Do most people tend to use that sock-looking thing to catch the big pieces, a protein skimmer and live rock? I'm wonder if my filters may be my nitrate breeding ground.

a deadjunk gets sucked into the filter I would assume it will then decay into nitrates as iff you had overfed your tank. I've never used a wet ry though so can't say much there. Basically I have always followed this method of filtration:

1- Mechanical filtration of snails and crabs and stars etc.
2- biological filtration of live rock and seaweed.
3- protien skimming to remove the poop simulating the foaming of ocean waves.

Thats pretty much it with basic weekly water changes of 10% I can maintain steady nitrate level. I have to do more than 10% to lower nitrates. I also feed almost daily.

I had filter pads in my sump, which is one of the items I blame for my former algae outbreak. I hated cleaning them so often, and really did think they were no better than nitrate traps. Since removing them entirely (and a bunch of other changes) my tank is healthy again.

+1 Va and AG.
Something else to consider.
Your tank is still fairly young.It takes a while for the tank to stabilize enough to process nitrates into nitrogen..

So your thought Yote is that my filter pads might not be the cause...that my tank is too young to properly release nitrogen? Does anyone use one of those filter type bags?...you just attach it to the water coming in from the DT to catch the large debris. My LFS said if I did away with my filter pads, I would need a filter bag. Is he just trying to sell me something?

I had debris floating around in my tank that was drivign me crazy, so I went and bought 3 filter socks. $3.98 each. I swap them out every 2 days. It has cured my debris problem. The socks turn a light brown within 2 days and I swap'em and clean the used one. (Still have a little debris, but not enough that bothers me) I don't use a skimmer.

So your thought Yote is that my filter pads might not be the cause...that my tank is too young to properly release nitrogen? Does anyone use one of those filter type bags?...you just attach it to the water coming in from the DT to catch the large debris. My LFS said if I did away with my filter pads, I would need a filter bag. Is he just trying to sell me something?

You can use a sock no problem just remember to change it out. The whole nitrogen thing is that the nitrates deep down in no light areas and low oxogen areas will be turned into nitrogen which will be released into the atmosphere at the water surface. This is what happens in the middle of the LR. It does take some time for this to start working. Filter socks etc are meant to be cleaned regulary or they will of course decay themselves contributing to the nitrate issue. Unless you have big hunks of stuff flying around I really wouldnt be to worried about the socks.

Plus, the little debris feed the filter feeders in your tank. Feather dusters, corals and others.

I only have one sponge in my tank. That is to help keep the skimmer from putting bubbles into the DT since I have a HOB model.

Wet/dry filters are not commonly used in this hobby for this reason -- they are considered nitrate factories. People that use wet/dries often have the same problem you do. They are just unable to get nitrates down. I'd get rid of the whole wet/dry system and just use a simple sump instead. Protein skimmer and live rock will be all you need.

I guess I know what I'm doing today! :) One more question...I have three small white filter pads, one of top of each other, in a filter chamber. They are always under water (not wet/dry). Should I get rid of them as well? Thanks.

Even if they are always underwater, they are still trapping crap in them, which is then decaying and releasing nitrates. I'd ditch the filter pads too.

Not really...only when they look pretty dirty. I guess I could do it routinely once a week when I change my water....would that be enough? Maybe I should just do away with filters all together and go al-natur-el! :)

Back