whats it?

Nonfamous

Reefing newb
Okay, here are a few pictures.

First is my tank as a whole. Nothing special. The second is a whats it. This coral is located on the sand bed left side of the tank picture. Sorry these are so crappy. IPhone and a bad photographer combine to make bad pictures!

tank.jpg

This is the whats it. I know its a real bad picture. What I'm trying to ID is in the 1 to 2 o'clock position and looks like a big, shiny, green bubble. What is it? I was hoping it was new growth, but I'm thinking not.
what.jpg

I would say bubble algae. If you can, remove the piece of rock or coral form the tank, then gently remove the bubble without popping it. If it pops inside the tank, it will spread spores throughout the tank. Emerald crabs are known to eat them also.

Genlty rock the bubble back and forth. It should pull off.

If it pops outside the tank, rinse off the area very well with old tank water. That's why I recommend pulling the rock out and doing it outside the tank.

They are pretty easy to remove by hand. They attach themselves to the rock using little tendrils. Like BJ said, gently pulling it off should remove it without popping it.

most likely. Bubble algae is a bit resilient. It is possible that it is elsewhere in your tank and you just haven't seen any more of it. I have a few patches in my tank that always come back. But it is under control with my physical removal and my emerald crab.

I also read that Rabbit Fish/FoxFace eat this stuff. My one spot never went near it. Are emerald crabs okay with corals? I have Dragon ? goby (lives on the bottom, spits sand, acts like a dog, has a big fin right behind his head he pops up once and a while), are they okay with these guys?

Emerald crabs are okay with corals. Very rarely you will hear of one that starts picking at polyps, but overall, they are very beneficial in reef tanks. They are also safe around fish, as long as you don't get a huge emerald crab. Some have been known to go after small fish when they get really large, but it's hard to find ones that size in stores.

Back