What's my purple coralline telling me?

d2mini

Reef enthusiast
All my best most abundant coralline algae is around the outside edges of my tank. The rocks that are dead center are bare of it, especially on the top face of them. Is this a good gauge for placement of corals in relation to light requirements?

My coraline grows best in lower light areas. The rocks higher up in my tank are almost bare but in lower light and in shaded areas are a deep purple. I am guessing that the corners of your tank are lower light and it just grows better there.

+1 mine seems to grow best in low light areas and in the shade @_@

I even have some growing on the rocks in my fuge with only a reg florescent bulb on it @_@?

PS (??Reef Fishes??)

My coralline always seems to explode whenever I run just the actinics. Sometimes I leave the daylights off for a week, to weaken whatever algae I have in the tank and the coralline will take off, spreading and turning more purple.

Can someone tell me the purpose of coralline? I think it looks disgusting when its all over everything in the tank

Really? I love the purple color all over the rocks and hermit/snail shells. And the back glass... when i have a tank that has a back.

Can someone tell me the purpose of coralline? I think it looks disgusting when its all over everything in the tank

It is an indicator that your tank is "healthy". It has similar growth requirments as corals do. So if the coraline is growing, that means that corlas will most likely be able to survive.

Oh ok I do have it growing like crazy on my rocks so I guess thats good.

Yeah I think a tank looks dirty when its all over the glass, to each his own, if every tank looked exactly the same that would be boring.

Back