whats wrong with my water

lilduud

Reefing newb
theres definitely something off about my water chemistry but i cant figure it out... ive never seen these "symptoms" before...
my water has become decently cloudy, to the point where looking length wise [like in the pic] you almost can see the other end of the tank. the water itself is opaque not just algae film covered glass or lots of microbubbles. also my skimmer is overflowing... not with water but with bubbles... its like the water is too sticky or something. the liquid skimmate at the bottom is good and dark [almost black] but the bubbles are backing up and spewing out of the holes and sides of the collection cup... anyone have an idea as to whats going on? testing params this moment will post results when theyre clear.

4ebb4d77.jpg

63300842.jpg

What did your params end up saying?

My tank went through a bacteria bloom a few weeks ago that made the water like that. It cleared up in about a week when I finally got nitrates to 0ppm

I don't know whats up with the skimmer though...maybe just extra waste from the bacteria? (If thats what's causing the cloudy water)

Maybe someone else should chime in...

noooooo it was all freshly mixed with ro water from a large dispenser. i did use about 7 gallons of water that my rock came in but id be very surprised and disapointed if he had it in tap water based saltwater. levels :
ammonia: 0
nitrite: 0
nitrate: <5

also something strange i just noticed is that theres no algae growing around this shell... its hard to tell in the pics but its a mini dead zone surrounding it.

39ee08e8.jpg

and even on the glass

457ebebd.jpg

i just found an article that says it may be a part of the diatom bloom... sometimes "free floating diatoms" are more prevalent than in other blooms.

but yeah, looks like a diatom bloom of a new tank.

What the skimmer is pulling out is good, enough of running that should clear it up.

the 55... which has been up just over a week. and i dont have a phosphate tester regrettably =/.
i know the algae is all diatom but i hadnt seen the cloudy water associated with it before so i was just surprised.

you could also try running carbon if you aren't already. that should help alot. anyway, it should clear up on its own eventually.

is your tank ready for the cuc? that will also help clear up the diatoms.

yea i should go get some cuc.... its ready [the levels anyway] i do want to run carbon and gfo but i just set up and ive spent a mini fortune so i need to wait before budgeting that in.

It's some sort of organic (a lot of help, I know)..but that's why your skimmer is going nuts. Now.. if your skimmer starts looking more 'normal' and the water is still like that, then I'd say there is a real mystery and would start testing like crazy.. and/or running the water through a diatom filter or something similar. However, I think this will likely clear on it's own.. if you can stand looking at it long enough...

Back