When Is It Time For A Calcium Reactor?

Hiker4twenty

Reef enthusiast
Just wondering what everyone's take is on a calcium reactor? When should you get one, are they necessary, etc? I have 35+ differenty types of SPS in my tank in addition to a few LPS. I only have 4 small colony size SPS and the rest are all frags in the 2" range. I do dose calcium and alk daily and mag 2x per month. Do you think I need a calcium reactor or will need to get one in the future?

Dave. I was looking into one earlier this year. I was talked out of it I think by Yote due to the fact that they are a bit tempramental, and you run the risk of killing everything off if not dialed in just right. At least that was how I took it. I would think the best person to ask about this would be Larry since he has so much SPS and does an amazing job with it.

Have you thought about a dosing pump? I don't have one but you could still be adding what you are now, but you don't have the hassle of doing it yourself. All the LFS around here use dosers on their frag tanks. Just an idea. I've also read some nightmare stories about cal reactors.

Dave, I was dosing B-Ionic as well. I have recently switched over to the Bulk Reef Supply stuff, and am super happy with it. I got it when we did a group buy here. 11 gallons of Cal. Mag. and Alk.......................54.00!

Personally, I don't want to have to buy all the equipment associated with a ca reactor. You need a co2 tank and regulator, the reactor itself and a pH controller. Some people swear by them, some swear at them. ;)

I have a 2 channel Alaris infusion pump I got off Ebay for dosing my DIY 2-part supplements. The pump cost around $50. I watched Ebay for a few weeks before I found 1 with a good price. They are always listed and there are a few up there now.

dosing-pump_5-10.jpg

I would stay away from one as well... a lot of people tried to talk me into one when I first started up. But I see everyone who at one point told me I should put one on my tank now are selling them, they are to temperamental.

Back