Where do you get your live rock & livestock?

webdizzy

Reefing newb
There are only a couple of LFS (Live Fish Stores, right?) that are convenient to where I live and neither of them have a great selection of livestock or very much live rock. Never ordered either one online before. Is buying online a good option? Seems scary to trust having anything that's alive shipped to me. Is it cheaper or more expensive? I'm also concerned about not being able to hand pick what I buy.

I think most people buy online. I know for live rock and sand, it is usually a lot cheaper. If you buy from Aquarium Fish: Tropical Freshwater Fish and Saltwater Fish for Home Aquariums, you can get live rock for around $4 a pound, including shipping, if you get it when it's on sale. The cheapest my LFS sells live rock is $12 a pound. Live Aquaria also has flat shipping rates for heavy stuff like salt and sand. When I set up my 240, I bought it by the pallet, and I think I ended up paying $17 shipping.

As for livestock, I have ordered plenty of things online. Stay away from Saltwater Fish and Supplies at Saltwaterfish.com. Some sites I recommend for animals:

Aquarium Fish: Tropical Freshwater Fish and Saltwater Fish for Home Aquariums
www.reefermadness.us
ZoMania.com, Aquaculture Farms

I've ordered several times from those sites and have consistently been happy with them.

12 bucks a pound for live rock????
I thought it was expensive here. Its 9 bucks normal and 5 on sale. Never bought any LR of live stock online. Have purchased supplies from Drs Foster and Smith. They are great to work with.

i'll never buy any more lr, i have my seed bed now, so i just make all mine.. but i'm a cheapa$$.

I bought 1 or 2 chunks from the lfs when i got started, just for some diversity, but once you have a decent "starter pile" theres just really no reason to spend the $$...

i would check craigslist, and i would be VERY carefull about what and who you buy from.. infact i wouldnt buy stuff from someone that was tearing down thier tank, cause chances are that something went very wrong, and you might be putting the problem into your tank...

then there is the other side of the coin, if someone is gettingout of the hobby, then you might score an awesome deal... its really a chance that you have to weigh out for yourself...

I'm a firm believer in supporting your LFS.I love mine! Got every last thing from them.(not the tank)Mine has great LR for 6.99 a lb.I guess if you have non near you,then you do what you have to.Mine is about 45 min. away,but its a great way to build up trust and see what your about to buy.

yea, i frequent my lfs too, but if i can make it myself for under $1 a pound, and i dont have to wory about it setting off a cycle, or it bringing in any nasties... seems a better and safer way to go to me...

I think it's is great to support local businesses too, if they're worth supporting. Unfortunately in my area they are not. :(

Man,thats too bad.I have been going to mine since i was into FW(15 yrs ago).He has since swithed to strictly salt.I have 100% trust in the guy.He even QT's for me.

I just don't have any confidence in any of mine. Biff used to like one of the shops but now has concerns too. I still buy things from them occasionally, but most of the time I buy on-line.

My lfs' rocks go from $5-12 per pound, depending on the type of rock. I've bought 2 chunks for them just to start off my tank, and a base rock which cost $1 or $2 per pound.

Its price is why I've resorted to just making my own rocks.

I love my lfs :) Can't say enough awesome things about them. They even match deals I find online. That's the good thinga bout smaller shops. They're more likely to match other sellers' prices.

Back