Where to buy

chucktownkid

Reefing newb
Hi,

I'm in the midst of setting up a 20 gallon long aquarium, ordering supplies, and I want to buy a mated pair of percula clownfish. Say if I go to my LFS and there arent any mated pairs is it okay to order online? And what are the best reliable websites if I do? Thanks so much for tollerating my beginner-ness! :D

Hi,

I'm in the midst of setting up a 20 gallon long aquarium, ordering supplies, and I want to buy a mated pair of percula clownfish. Say if I go to my LFS and there arent any mated pairs is it okay to order online? And what are the best reliable websites if I do? Thanks so much for tollerating my beginner-ness! :D

well I'll say this they will cost more than normal. But as my self I got a mated pair from saltwaterfish.com but its hit or miss if any sight will have the mated clowns you want. I'd just get 2 different sized clowns and hope for the best. Because sam&june did cost me a pretty penny. but if you really want to this site has them most of the time Saltwater Clown Fish - Aquatic Connection :Cheers:

Thanks so much! I'm looking forward to taking the plunge. Soon I'll start a thread so I can write down all my progress. I might take your advice about just getting two males and hoping they pair up. Seems to be a little less threatening to my pockets haha :)

Your best bet is to get 2 different sized clowns and let them pair up themselves...buying a mated pair and then introducing them to a new surrounding will only delay their mating and spawning. So you're better off saving some money and getting regular ones.

liveaquaria.com also has mated pairs in the Diver's Den almost every weekday. But, as others have said, unless you are looking for something extraordinary (snowflake, picasso, black, etc.) just go to your LFS and buy a bigger one and a smaller one. Clowns are born hermaphroditic and "decide" later on what to be. Females are larger and males are smaller, so by buying one big and one little, you are in a sense helping them "decide" what they are going to be. Voila! Mated pair!

liveaquaria.com also has mated pairs in the Diver's Den almost every weekday. But, as others have said, unless you are looking for something extraordinary (snowflake, picasso, black, etc.) just go to your LFS and buy a bigger one and a smaller one. Clowns are born hermaphroditic and "decide" later on what to be. Females are larger and males are smaller, so by buying one big and one little, you are in a sense helping them "decide" what they are going to be. Voila! Mated pair!

I've spoken with the people running DD, and they rarely if ever sell mated pairs. If they have have two fish that get along together in their tanks they will sell them as a pair. I wish I could find the emails to post the exact response. Also, if you get a male and female together, it doesn't automatically mean mated pair, at that point they're only a pair. They only become a mated pair after they start laying eggs.

I've spoken with the people running DD, and they rarely if ever sell mated pairs. If they have have two fish that get along together in their tanks they will sell them as a pair. I wish I could find the emails to post the exact response. Also, if you get a male and female together, it doesn't automatically mean mated pair, at that point they're only a pair. They only become a mated pair after they start laying eggs.

Thanks for the further insight! Sorry for my misleading post.....I thought DD was selling mated pairs, and that was why they were so much more expensive than the same clowns unpaired! Of course, unless the buyer is actually looking to get fry, I suppose a mated pair isn't strictly necessary....but dang that's treading the fine line of truth in advertising. I suppose they don't actually say "these fish are laying eggs" but by selling them in pairs like that, it sure makes it seem that way....

well I'll say this they will cost more than normal. But as my self I got a mated pair from saltwaterfish.com but its hit or miss if any sight will have the mated clowns you want. I'd just get 2 different sized clowns and hope for the best. Because sam&june did cost me a pretty penny. but if you really want to this site has them most of the time Saltwater Clown Fish - Aquatic Connection :Cheers:

Aquatic Connection has terrible reputation for selling fish, I absolutely wouldnt trust that site for the life of me. Here is are a great site for buying actual mated pairs of clowns, including rare combos.

iBluewater - HOME

Back