Which Light?

Which Light?

• Total voters
I personally like the LEDs. I like that you don't have to worry about heating issues, bulb replacement or the impact on your electric bill. :)

That's what my thought on it was. But my current fixture is 130 watts total. And I want to be able to keep SPS in this tank

If you go with the 3 watt LEDs you should be able to keep them. I have 25 3 watt for the daylights in my nano cube and others who have the same tank are able to keep SPS and clams with it.

Edited to add: keep in mind that you have to look at the PUR levels on LEDs not just the PAR. LED lights go into a different spectrum than MH or T5's so you really can't compare them.

Take a look at this article. It has embedded links to more information in regards to LED.

http://blog.captive-aquatics.com/captive_aquatics/2010/12/looking-to-purchase-led-lighting.html

Last edited:
You are going to spend quite a bit on LED's, if cost isnt an issue, try em out, though think they are going to get much better within 6 months to a year.

No you guys, I am talking about the DIY LED kit that I posted originally.

Reaha, I cant figure out how many watts they are in the one i posted.

Cathic, The DIY kit im talking about is only 150 shipped

IMHO, nothing comes as close to recreating the sun and it's positive effects like MH. I'm still waiting to see more long term data on LED's but for now they are not worth the cost ( Of course DIY if you are able, cuts out the cost issue. ) IMHO unless the heat and bulb cost of MH is a serious problem for you. To me, that is the main advantage of LED at this point. All T5's is something I would never do again. Ever. They are flat/shadowless, no shimmer, and I think (just my own crazy hypothesis based on nothing but personal experience) they are the root cause of some algae problems... mixing spectrums like mad scientists.
So I vote MH/T5.

Dennis in all honesty you really can't compare LED and MH in regards to lighting spectrum. MH you have to look at PAR values and LED you really have to look at the PUR values. LEDs actually have higher PUR values than PAR. How much really depends on the LED.

slm32123 if you can't find an answer on the website (I couldn't find a definitive answer either), call the company and ask them. If they are 1 watts at that time you could ask them if they offer 3 watts and if they do ask them to switch the 1 watts for the 3.

He's not talking about light output hes referring to the effect they give, and I agree, MH give that shimmer., also with the diy depending on tank size you will need to buy more than one.

Ya, I'm not talking about light intensity.
And yes, LED does give the shimmer which is cool. They LOOK great in person. But is the look to OUR eyes enough?

What I was referring to was the spectrum of the light, uv rays, etc. For lack of a better word, the "quality" of the light. How do you feel when you are sitting in your office under flourescent light? Then how do you feel when you step out into the sun on a nice sunny day? How do you think plants react under the same two lighting conditions? Like I said, nothing factual or scientific about what I'm saying, just a feeling and the thoughts that go through my head when I think about the subject.

Actually from what I understand is that LEDs have a higher PUR than MH. And I am sure you know its the PUR is what corals really use for its photosynthesis..

What I was referring to was the spectrum of the light, uv rays, etc. For lack of a better word, the "quality" of the light. How do you feel when you are sitting in your office under flourescent light? Then how do you feel when you step out into the sun on a nice sunny day? How do you think plants react under the same two lighting conditions? Like I said, nothing factual or scientific about what I'm saying, just a feeling and the thoughts that go through my head when I think about the subject.

Before my LFS came under new ownership, they had their display tank under LEDs for years. It was one of the most incredible displays I've ever seen. I do think the quality of the light is similar to MH and T5. Some people report seeing better growth and colors under LED. At this point, my personal problems with LEDs are not that they are an "unproven technology". I think it has been proven conclusively that you can keep a great reef tank with LEDs. To me, the big barrier is the upfront cost, which is significantly higher than other types of lights.

That's awesome.
I'm sure LED's will be the best way to go at some point and I will be more interested when prices come down.

But I will never go back to all T5 for a reef tank. That's for sure.

I havnt seen a real good shimmer effect with them, but I havnt stared at them long enough either. The shimmer is something I love.

That's awesome.
I'm sure LED's will be the best way to go at some point and I will be more interested when prices come down.

But I will never go back to all T5 for a reef tank. That's for sure.

I think it's all personal preference. I've had one reef tank that was MH only. One that was MH/T5 combo. And two that were T5 only. I like the T5 only better than the other setups. I do agree with you about the light being "flat" and "shadowless", but for me, not having a heat concentration, the cost of the bulbs, the power of having individual reflectors and the number of choices you have for bulbs is a plus.

I think it's all personal preference. I've had one reef tank that was MH only. One that was MH/T5 combo. And two that were T5 only. I like the T5 only better than the other setups. I do agree with you about the light being "flat" and "shadowless", but for me, not having a heat concentration, the cost of the bulbs, the power of having individual reflectors and the number of choices you have for bulbs is a plus.

That's why I like the MH/T5 combo the best.
There's plenty of bulb choices available to get you close to the color you like, and then you tweak it with your T5's. The T5 supplementation also allows for better dawn/dusk effects. And as far as cost, if you are talking just MH vs just T5's, it depends on how many T5's you are running. My 46g had six 36" T5's. At $25/piece that was quite a bit more than the one 250w bulb I have now over my 130g. Of course i have the four 24" T5's as well now, but they last longer for me too because I'm not relying on them for light output but more just for visual color. It's still cost a little more but it's not that bad. And some people run just the one MH. Heat is not a concern for me with the open top and no hood. I still need a heater. Individual reflectors with T5 is also recommended, although you can get away without it but you'll lose par.

That said, T5 is working for you obviously.... your tank rocks. So ya, a lot of it is personal preference and of course what you can afford, the latter which I wasn't taking into consideration.

Back