Which Light?

Which Light?

• Total voters
Im running 1 250w MH and i just got 2x2ft T5's with 2x24w bulbs in ecah one so ill post a befor and after pick for MH VS MH/T5

I think it's all personal preference. I've had one reef tank that was MH only. One that was MH/T5 combo. And two that were T5 only. I like the T5 only better than the other setups. I do agree with you about the light being "flat" and "shadowless", but for me, not having a heat concentration, the cost of the bulbs, the power of having individual reflectors and the number of choices you have for bulbs is a plus.

I've noticed that I get a cool shadow effect in my nano-cube with one MH light but, in my 75 with the 2 MH lights I don't get the shadows as much. I think it has to do with the second light filling in the shadow areas, which is disappointing because I love the way my pics come out from my nano.

Guys, Do you all realize that I am going to put this light, whichever one I get over a 10 GALLON NANO REEF? Wouldnt 298 watts be a huge overkill on a 10 GALLON tank? Also, as of right now I dont have a way to suspend the fixture, so the light will be able 3 inches from the surface... And I am only 17, so I live with my parents, and I don't pay the electric bill.

It really is down to between the LED and the MH/T5 combo though.

LEDs give an amazing shimmer effect just like MH, if you have LED moonlights, look at the tank when those are on, there is quite a bit of shimmer there.

I dont remember who said it, but they said something about how I would probably need 2 of those nano LED kits depending on the tank size. I have to remind you guys again, it's going over a TEN GALLON tank.

Sorry about all the capitals, just trying to make sure you guys understand what size tank it will be on

just out of curiosity, why are you looking at an MH/T5 combo for a 10g? An MH by itself would be more then enough for that tank.

I voted for the LEDs, but I would go up to the 24 LED kit not the nano. The heatsink on the nano is only 6x9 so not much coverage. The heatsink on the 24 is 12x9. Also twice as many LEDs so more light. Being a 10 gallon, you would probably be able to keep SPS with any of the new fixtures

Back