which one

naso or blue tang

• naso tang

Votes: 7 70.0%
  • blue tang

Votes: 3 30.0%

• Total voters
hmmm, a 120 is a touch to small for a naso long term. they can get well over a foot long and need more like a 180 for a full life, especially if the 120 is 4 feet long. A Regal Blue tang or an Atlantic Blue would be a better choice.

-Doc

doc what do you think about a queen angel

Ha...have you been paying attention to the POTM voting? I make my views known easily there. I will spare you the time searching for my ramblings, but...that fish is in the top three of the MOST BEAUTIFUL fish in the ocean. They are magnificent to behold in person and tend to adjust to aquarium life easily if shipped as small adults, between 4-6 inches. Smaller ones tend to die and bigger ones may not eat well since they get used to their natural diet in the wild, but that is true of any large angelfish.

Due to their large size, they are not a good fit for a tank less than 180 gallons, as they need ALOT of room to swim. They can reach over 18 inches and their height is also massive. they are just big-ass beautiful fish. If you are thinking of an angel for your tank, you need to tell me the dimensions. A 120 can be 6 feet long or 4 feet long. It will depend on the length of your tank what kind of angelfish you can get.

-Doc

I would skip both of them since they grow huge.Both are beautiful in there own unique way.How about a Purple Tang instead or the Atlantic Blue as Doc mentioned.

I have a blue hipo and a purple in my 120 with a yellow tang, unicorn tang and a palini tang along with a few more fish and I have to tell you my skimmer works like crazy.

i cant remember off the top of my head. ill have to call the LFS that is delivering it tomorrow to get them

My guess is that it is 48x24x24. that is a standard 120. that being true, I would do with the Regal (Hippo) Tang over Naso. You don't want a fish that will get to be over a foot long and Regal Blue Tang CAN get that big, but it will take them 10 years and most don't reach that size. If you are tang hungry, the Regal Blue is the biggest you can really fit. You could easily go for a yellow tang (don't they are too common), purple tang (as dominick mentioned), atlantic blue (kinda tricky), powder blue (Ich magnet), Achilles tang (best just flushed down the toliet - guaranteed death in your tank but so F*&KING pretty it is worth it just once).

Now then, lets talk for a moment about real fish: Angelfish. The best looking ones are the big ones, Holacanthus and Pomacanthus families. Most need at least a 6 foot in length tank for the extra swimming room. BUT the Blue Ring angelfish stays nicely in a 120 as will a King Angel (Passar), Majestic (Navarchus), Yellowbar and Regal Angelfish (if you can find a Red Sea variety that is eating - GET IT). These fish are remarkable and can be kept with most soft corals (except for xenia and zoanthids). Leathers, mushrooms, GSP, YSP, nems, nepthia, sinularia, etc can all be kept with the angels and you can have your reef WITH KICK-ASS FISH.

Yes, it is true, I am trying to convert another disciple to my way of reefing, sue me

-Doc

i dont know if you mentioned the imperator angel cause i half zoned out but what do you think about that angel

Ouch...zoned out huh? So, I share a wealth of knowledge and you space it? Hmmmm. Too bad.

They get too big for that tank. It needs a tank at least 6 feet long.

-Doc

I would definitely go with the naso. Blue tangs are just so boring looking to me. I don't know why, they are just kinda bleh. Plus, they are ich magnets, so sickly. You are basically inviting infection to every fish in your tank.

Ok Doc Im going to hit you up when I get my 180 going, I cant go Fish Only but Ill let you help me pick some COOL fish that might maybe get along with coral. Im going to do it...I think.

I would definitely go with the naso. Blue tangs are just so boring looking to me. I don't know why, they are just kinda bleh. Plus, they are ich magnets, so sickly. You are basically inviting infection to every fish in your tank.

Don't listen to this crap. She is just anti-blue fish. Hell, if you want to be a stud, get the both, make sure they are small and upgrade to a 180 in 7 years. It will work. They are from different families and you will not have any fighting. It is fact of life that we all have our tanks overstocked cuz we are all too stubborn to listen to our own advice.

-Doc

God Doc I hope your still here come June It would difinately be a shame to lose such a wealth of knowledge and wit. Let alone sarchasism.

God Doc I hope your still here come June It would difinately be a shame to lose such a wealth of knowledge and wit. Let alone sarchasism.

"sarcasm" get yourself a dictionary there sonny-boy. :bounce::bounce:

Sorry, it was too easy, I had to hit it

-Doc

Back