Which plumbing setup?

Zissou

What about my dynamite?
I have a 1500gph glassholes overflow, going into two 1.5" drains.

Should I combine the drains, or keep them apart? If the drains are separate, they'll be draining into the same sump section, where an algae scrubber will be. I have all the pieces cut for the setup on the left, so the complicated part is over. Just looking for suggestions before gluing it all up. Thanks!

plumbing-1.jpg

Keep them apart!!! The beauty of two drains is one should be a full drain, and the other should be an emergency drain. Put a gate valve on the main drain above the sump to adjust flow if necessary or stop flow all together for maintenance. If something like a dead fish clogs the first, the water will be able to safely pass through the emergency drain. The top of the emergency drain should be a couple inches higher than the main drain. If you have both going into one, they can only flow as much as one anyway, so its kinda pointless.

If you do combine them, make sure you combine them into a larger diameter pipe. I am not sure on the drain rate of 1 1/2" pipe, but if it is less than 1500 gph, combining them into one 1 1/2" will negate the fact that there are two drains and it will act like one 1 1/2" drain.

I would keep them separate just for the redundancy of it all.

Also research "herbie style overflow". That's what i used and basically what i described above.
If you had room for a third drain you could do the "BeanAnimal" overflow. The ultimate in redundancy/safety.

Thanks, I'll go with the dual drains. Unfortunately with the glassholes overflow box I can't do the herbie or bean style overflow. :sfish:

Last edited:
Back