will emerald crab bother my snails???

SalteeDogg

Reefing newb
Just picked up an emerald crab for the tank and once I put him in the snails thought he was bait and started to climb all over him and I dunno maybe eat him? The crab was fine for about 5 minutes of abuse and then started trying to clip their little snorkels off! The snails realized he wasnt playing and went back under the sand. Is this something to worry about or will they be alright together? TIA

They should be fine together. 99% of emerald crabs are reef safe and have only been known to go after other animals once they reach sexual maturity (which can take a long time). As for the snails, they will usually only go after a live animal if they can smell it dying. So I think they will be fine together :).

thanks for the response!!! Yeah now he's hiding up inside a rock and wont come out lol. Im sure once he gets used to it he'll explore around

Don't listen to Biff, shes an accomplice to my emerald murdering one of my snails!

Actually, mine did kill one, but has been a model citizen ever since

Just keep in mind that no matter WHAT IS SUPPOSED TO HAPPEN with our fish and corals.Dont always go down that way.
I just keep 50/50 in my mind all the time when it comes to my tank.Because about 1/2 the time it's go like the book says.The other 1/2,,,well,you get the picture.

true that yote. it seems like sometimes, things eat coral that are not supposed to and vice versa. I am a fan of emerald crabs, mine have always been good. they are great algae eaters who will get along with your snails

-Doc

emeralds are great scavengers..it will keep your tank clean of uneatten food..reef safe..also their green is a nice add to any tank

Back