Will silicone stick to acrylic?

Zissou

What about my dynamite?
I ordered a bunch of 'cut to size' acrylic from tap plastics (for an algae scrubber), only to find out that the preferred 'Weld On 4 or 16' cement is non-shippable by air. This is the cement that melts the separate acrylic pieces into one, and I thought I could walk into any hardware store and could get it, but I was wrong. Of course, I only found this out after receiving my acrylic at the door. A local sign dealer couldn't give me any help, they just had glue, but not the kind that joins the pieces together by melting them, and wasn't sure if it was safe for fish.

So can I join the pieces with silicone? Being that this is a scrubber, it'll only hold maybe an inch of water at any one time (assuming it never backs up). I ordered enough pieces to make a box.

Thoughts?

They say it doesn't. I used it to attach the acryllic baffles to my glass tank. Those suckers ain't movin'. They're wedged in there. I tried to take the baffles off LOL

You take a chance using silicone to build the structure out of acrylic. How big of an area are we talking about? Do things have to ship by air to Alaska? (Not trying to be a smart @$$, seriously asking)

You could try and auto store or a glass shop. I know I have seen weld on at places like Pepboys or Autozone. Just not sure what # it is. A lot of glass shops deal with plastics too. Couldnt hurt to try.

Back