wow I'm dumb

UnderwaterWorld

Reef enthusiast
So I never got a calcium kit, always put it off, today I tested and I'm super high, my test kits goes to 520 and it was way more than that, it was the ATI kit. It's like 26 drops for 520 and I took 32 drops to get the right color. Maybe this is why I'm not seeing a tremendous amount of growth lol.

My carbonate hardness is 10 of the other hand which is fine.

Anyway to drop the calcium? I know I want it around 430-450 or so. Does that much calcium do the opposite than having it at the right level?

As long as your alkalinity balances out with the calcium,your alright.And apparently thats happening because your not having a calcium fall out.

You also have a faulty kit.I had an API calcium kit that showed I was way high.Had my LFS run a test it came out to 400.Bought a Tropic Marine kit and showed the same as the LFS.
If your kits right,the calcium will drop as coralline and corals use the calcium up.Water changes should lower it to.

Put some SPS corals in there.It will suck up the calcium like crazy and that will lower the calcium.Those calcium test kits are tricky,re-test again to make sure your doing it right.I did the test wrong for months without realizing it.Seriously,the only way to lower calcium is to do water changes and since the alkalinity is normal and calcium isn't precipitating,you should be fine doing nothing.

I got the Seachem test kit and it is really confusing to use. It says to wait till it goes from red to clear blue, well mine went to a darkish blue, without a picture it is hard to see which color they are talking about. Also i think how much I "swirl" the test tube makes a difference.

Thats one thing I do like about the tropic marine calcium kits.You start with a light blue and add drops using the supplied syringe untill the test vial turns clear.Then just read where the plungers at in the syringe and match it up to the chart.
There an expensive kit,but they'er a lot easier to use and read.

I think it is when it starts to turn blue. The kit I have goes from red to purple. Once it hits purple it takes about 2 more drops to hit blue. Mine is API.

I've used the API kits before.There alright,but I have a hard time telling the difference when the color starts getting close.My eyes dont work as well as they used to.

I messed up saying I have a Seachem test kit. I have the Seifert test kit and it doesn't come with any color chart to match up.

Back