Yellow Stripe Clingfish in a 10 gallon?

Satyr

Reefing newb
iv been researching how to set up a 10 gallon nano for about a month now and im very interested in the yellow stripe clingfish.

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=15+2124+1483&pcatid=1483

what do you guys think? would it work? ill have 15 lbs of LR and a few shrimp not to mention my clean up crew and a few corals. can i have any tank mates with it? can anyone tell me how active they are? in other words, if its my only fish will i see it often or will it hide most of the time?

I have never heard of that fish before. I don't see why it couldn't go in your nano, but here is a good, detailed clingfish resource for you:

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/clingfishfaqs.htm

From briefly looking around, it appears that they have very poor survival rates in aquariums and that they tend to starve to death.

Here is a notice I saw on one site:

"This fish is NOT EASY to keep. They are small...get into sumps....are tough to feed...and I WOULD have an urchin if you are thinking of getting it. I have spoken with others who owned this fish and none had success."

That said, if I had the resources, I would try one. I think they look super cool.

Last edited:
yikes! ill go read that article. wow, i hope they arent hard to keep i really like that fish. leme go read that and try and see what other info i can find and check back here again.

thank you so much, thats a great article. iv got my questions now :)

1. what is a genus Diadema urchin and can one be kept in a 10 gallon?... how does one keep such a thing?

2. what is a refugium and how do i get one to "thrive"?

3. what are commensal copepods and can they be purchased for use in home aquariums?

did a search, got the fuge figured out. im assuming the pods will come with LR and such and just naturally find their way there, right? and im thinking i should just have it as a HOB filter with maybe 1/2" of sand in the bottom and filter floss. ill probably see if i cant get some established floss from a friend or something. so that sound like it will be fine for growing pods?

Use rock rubble instead of filter floss.The floss will cause nitrate problems,where the rubble wouldnt.

Yote is right, filter floss won't help with pods. And make sure the fuge gets some light.

You can buy bottles of live pods at your LFS, but they run about $20 apiece. Too expensive to keep a fish on them long term.

so is that not a good idea to try and set a fuge up to have a constant source of pods for the clingfish to feed on? and as for rubble, how much? an inch?... filled up all the way... what do yall recommend?

ya, a friend of mine from highschool (im now in college) works at a lfs and they have a 10 gallon SW nano kit for sale with all the stuff i need except LR. so im good to go there. i didnt think i could fit 2 oscilarous clown fish in it. can i? --- maybe thats a previous thought from when i was considering a 5.5 gallon instead of a 10 --- i have considered that, going with an easier fish while im a beginner. then again if the clingfish doesnt cost that much i wouldnt mind trying it... that doesnt sound insensitive and cruel does it? its just that i sort of have it stuck in my mind that this is going to work and i have nothing to worry about. i think though from my research one of its main sources of food is picking at the diadema urchin it uses as a host. can i put one of those in a 10 g?

Back