Yellow Sun Polyps

Cathic

Fish Wrangler
Got a free frag today, should have been a large order, only 14 or maybe fewer polyps though, so the LFS freebie'd them. Hope they open up as they left them in the shipping package for over a day, no movement filtration etc.

Aren't the sun polyps the ones that grow in caves with very low light and require special feedings? If they are the ones I'm thinking of wow they are gorgeous but man they take some care.

Nah these are easy low care corals, I would not delve into the difficult to take care of realm. Maybe the regular name is just Yellow polyps. The bag is labeled Sun polyp though and looks nearly identical to what the yellow polyps appear to be in a google search.

They are beautiful. I have a small colony of them in my 90. They are probably NDB's favorite coral in the whole tank.

Put them in a shaded area -- preferably under a ledge. They do best with little to no light. Since they are non-photosynthetic, they will need to be hand-fed. You can feed them meaty fish foods. You'll need to feed each polyp individually every day or every other day. I feed mine using a turkey baster, but they are slow eaters. I then have to spend fifteen minutes swatting at the fish that try to steal their food with the turkey baster.

EDIT: Oh you mean they're not sun corals? Yellow polyps are different and very easy. If so, those will require no special care at all.

Yeah let me take a picture, someone is incorrectly informed either the bag is mislabeled, or I am misidentifying, but I think they are just regular yellow polyps.

Ah I think you have the yellow colony polyps maybe? They are yellow with long tentacles. They grow fast and are actually very nice. I want to add some to my tank

i know exactly what you are talking about, i have a colony in my tank, had if for about 5 months now, and the polyps i had grew bigger, but it didnt expand at all.... maybe i dont have it placed right?

oh and no special care... ive fed them a couple times but you definitely dont need to

i know exactly what you are talking about, i have a colony in my tank, had if for about 5 months now, and the polyps i had grew bigger, but it didnt expand at all.... maybe i dont have it placed right?

oh and no special care... ive fed them a couple times but you definitely dont need to

I like how they grab food and eat it. They should be starting to multiply by now. Sometimes you don't notice it also. When I broke down my tank to move I found so many of these guys on other rocks I didn't even know they were there.

Yellow polyps are really easy to care for.Low-moderate lighting and flow,even will take target feeding of small plankton and mysis.Be careful,peppermint shrimps like to eat them.

Just run the polyps on up to Chattanooga.You can drop em off at the house then hit Bermuda and get something the peps wont eat.:mrgreen: Plus it'll save the shippin cost.:bounce:

I had yellow polyps and aptasia. I added some peppermints. They ate the aptasia and not the yellow polyps. The peppermints also disappeared not long after that. I'm not sure why. Never had any probs with em on the yellow polyps though. You can always try em out.

Move the frag over next to the glass and let them spread to the glass. It takes a few months to grow them off the rock and onto the glass. Then cut the rock loose and sell it.

Yellow polyps on glass are not really hard to manage. When they spread too far, you take a straight razor blade and slide it under their foot. Slice them right off the glass without hurting them. It's very easy to control them when you can simply slice off a square or strip of polyps anytime they start crowding other corals near the glass.

If you let them touch other rocks in your aquarium, they will spread like dandelions in your front yard. :frustrat:

You can control their growth and how fast they spread by how much you feed them. You don't HAVE to feed them. But if you do, be mindful of their growth rate, because they can blow up and spread on you REAL quick if you're not paying attention.

moved my colony by the glass, and in less flow... gonna start feeding tomorrow... hopefully i actually get a coral with good growth ha

Back