Zoas split from colony, on sand bed

chiqui bb

Reefing newb
I have a small colony of zoas (about 20) on a piece of rock. Put it in my tank about 7 weeks ago. Last night I noticed 2 of the polyps floating on the sand bed and a bare spot in the center of the colony. I sucked them up (gently) with a turkey baster and placed them back in the colony hoping they would re-attach but this morning I see them floating around again. Not sure what to do.........

Mmm im not sure, i lost a small colony I had the same way, im guessing I had too much flow or something? or the snails knocked it off?

I just say leave the ones that fell off and it should grow new polyps eventually.

Thanks guys. Since this is my first foray into gluing....what do I use? I've read where people use super glue but that just seems wrong. Chemicals, etc.

It will be fine. Go to Target, and get yourself some Loctite Superglue Gel. It works great. Put a glob on, place your frag, blow on it for a few seconds, then submerge it in some water. R.C. also did a video on fragging if you are not quite sure.

Thanks guys. Since this is my first foray into gluing....what do I use? I've read where people use super glue but that just seems wrong. Chemicals, etc.

It seems like it would be toxic after smelling the glue but nope,perfectly safe.Use the gel and it cures underwater too.

You're covered on the super glue Gel. One thing I'd like to add it to make sure you dunk the glued coral in water a few times as the glue gets really hot when it's curing and the water will help cool it down.

Pretty much any super glue that contains cyanoacrylate (sp?) should be fine. Just dunk it in saltwater, and it will be pretty much cured instantly. I would definetaly check out RC's videos, they're great.

Back