Reefing newb
need some advice

i have a shot at two tanks

1- 180 gallon dual corner overflows $300.00
2- 265 gallon oceanic with dual corner overflows 450.00

do either sound like a good deal?
they are both used but local

this would also be a very slow build

If you have room for the 265, go for it.

Remember to evaluate your budget though.
For a 265, you jump into the 84" realm and everything gets WAY MORE EXPENSIVE.
You will need bigger lights (probably with heavy duty individual reflectors) bigger skimmer, bigger pumps, lots more sand and rock, etc.

Make sure you do your cost analysis before jumping into an 84" tank.

Let us know what happens!!!

i know
thats why i said it would be a slow build
i could see it easily being a year until the tank was up and running

Space, time, and money. How much of each do you have? Also, if you are addicted to reefing then you will kick yourself if you don't go with the biggest tank you can possibly get. Either sounds like a good price. You will never get a deal as good as Biffs. Are stands, pump, or equipment included in either deal. And always, always, always haggle! If they have them out and have them on sale they want to get rid of them. Offer 250 for the 180 and 375 for the 265. They can only say no. Let us know how it turns out.

the bigger the better. check your budget for the next year and calculate how much it would be with everything and then decide. Make sure your posative you want to go with that size before you do it.

neither has equipment
tanks only

stand and canopy i would build myself and just keep shopping for the equipment and snatch it as i find it, realizing some things would have to bought new

the 265 is probably the better deal, as anew one costs around $1800, so i think even if you got it for 600 it would be a good deal...

i think the biggest thing will be time

all of a sudden a 10 gallon water change would be a 26 gallon water change...etc.

That is just one trash can full. Oh wait you were talking about the price of salt... Yup, it all gets more expensive. I know I just went from a 75 to a 165 w/50g sump. Cost was more than what I expected and I had a bunch of the stuff I would need to get started. If you can be patient and just start stocking up on supplies and building your own stand then absolutely go for the 265!!!

Which one is glass if any? If the 265 is glass go that route, as well as if they are both acrylic. They are both good prices the only way I would get the 180 over the 265 is if it were glass and the bigger was acrylic.

A 24 gallon water change is just 12 cups of salt(roughly).Thats what I change every week in my 75,and the bucket lasts me 2 or 3 months.
So I'd go for the 265 and do whatever I had to do to afford the equipment for it.
Just be sure your floor will handle the weight.

no doubt about the 265, and then just keep checking your local reef club website for people selling stuff and see what you can haggle a price for to save a little cash

both are glass
not worried about the cost of salt

i just know how much time i put into my 90, and time is the one thing you cant buy

however a 265 would be awesome

the sky would be the limit with stocking

im going to go for it, if i can get the 265 for the right price

Nice RCPilot!!! I feel the same way with mine. The tank is 30" deep and I think i'll have to get in just to clean it. My kids keep asking if they can swim in it just once. HA.

Nice RCPilot!!! I feel the same way with mine. The tank is 30" deep and I think i'll have to get in just to clean it. My kids keep asking if they can swim in it just once. HA.

lol maybe when you have to take it down...but that will prolly be when they are a lot older and bigger

The problem with going that big, is that no matter how many corals and fish you buy, the tank still looks empty!! I can't tell you (nor do I want to admit to myself) how much money I've spent on coral for my 240, but it still looks freakin BARREN, one year after I set it up.

Still, take the big one.

Frags are not a quick fix dustin. Its not like corals grow overnight to large sizes. Hell biff has tons of frags that have been slammed in there, and I wouldn't mind seeing the growth of them if she would ever post a freaking update!!!!!!!

So when do you find out about the tank and if you got it or not?

the reason we dont get an update is because she never cleans the glass, therefor it shouldnt be a problem for her if it looks empty cause she cant see through the algae

Back