100gl sw tank newbie..

exWHYzee

Reefing newb
drum roll pleeeeeeease! jk well I signed up here a month ago because I was pretty close to having everything ready for my tank. So the about two weeks ago i took my water to lfs and they told me my water was ok for some damsels and crabs. 3 days ago they told me it was good all levels were straight. Im going to post a couple pictures from the beg. to where im at so far. I appreciate everyones help here and by reading i believe everything is happy and healthy.
mixing the salt water n sand
CIMG1975.jpg

put the rock in
CIMG1985.jpg

rest of the pictures are form last nite
CIMG2003.jpg

moooshies
CIMG2004.jpg

old yellah!
CIMG2050.jpg

pinky & the brain
CIMG2021.jpg

yellah, koby, and mooshie
CIMG2061.jpg

foxy is verrrry shy

CIMG2028.jpg

so how does everything look? is it landscaped ok? got about 100-110 lbs of L.R. I have more pictures available I just put these up for now. thanks alot everyone im so excited and I hope i have created an ideal home for these guys:bounce:

Last edited:
everything is looking great! you're off to a good start!

what is the plan for the tank in the long run?

planning on soft corals and fish for now. I was trying not to get ahead of myself but it seems as if more people are asking this so I'm thinking I should get on it as far as having a plan or a goal for the tank.

not all put a list together but alot of fish dont get along together are not reefsafe ect so its good to decide what type of tank you want to set up ie. reef, fish only aggresive ect

Everything looks good.
But I'll offer a word of caution.That coral banded shrimp will eventually go after your fish and corals.They are buttheads.And dont believe everything your LFS tells you.

everything looks good, id keep an eye on that yellow tang though, something about it just doesn't look right. also id slow down a bit, add one fish every three weeks and be careful with the damsels they can be complete terrors

]id keep an eye on that yellow tang though, something about it just doesn't look right.

Hahaha. That sounds so weird -- but you know what? I thought the exact same thing :shock:

I think it's just skinny. Make sure you have dried seaweed sheets and a good quality frozen food to fatten it up.

for new reefers keyword is patience don't add fish too quick i did one at a time every 5 weeks or so your bioload can mature to handle new fish. Definitely get some algae sheets for that tang it is skinny. what kind of light fixture and how many watts you got in it, and what kind of skimmer you using.

i was thinking the same thing about the tang but thought it may be the pic. If not it looks like it has lateral line errosion, which is said to be caused by stray voltage intanks and improper diet. A tang and a foxface are both big waste makers so you may see a change in water chemistry. I would test more frequently and keep some SW on hand JIC your levels spike on you. Also you make see an aldae outbreak. They look great and im looking at a worst case situation for you. Im not trying to be a party pooper. Also, I assume the damsels were your cycle fish that actually lived. i had the same thing happen and they became real buttholes over time.

i would say the tang has a pinched belly and I doubt its because you under fed it I bet its from the fish store or wherever you purchased it from, I can say I believe that people who purchase fish usually don't underfeed their fish they usually over feed them... but I could be totally wrong in this statement

ok sorry for the delay I will attempt to take more pictures tonite. I have/will not put anything more for a while upon your guys' recommendation. (what about corals at what rate should these be added) Im going to try to address everything that has been asked.

yes im taking the water and will begin testing more frequently. these damsels were the ones I put in originally and ALL 4 survived :D

the shrimp have been ok it seems that they mostly keep to themselves. also the tang contantly goes up to the shrimp idk why

I will keep an eye on the tang, and look into those problems/diseases. I called the lfs but he said the algae sheets arent necessary for only 1 tang?. (should i just go get some anyways) Im currently feeding them flakes/frozen shrimp. the tang and foxface are beggining to eat more algae from the LR, and getting more used to me :Cheers:

Your tang will definitely benefit from some seaweed sheets. Just buy a pack -- they don't go bad very quickly, so even with one tang they won't go to waste. Vegetable matter should comprise the bulk of their diet, not meaty foods, so I think if you start feeding him some seaweed sheets he'll shape up in no time.

+1 dustin. Take it slow. Like life, this hobby is about enjoying the process, not the end-product.

That said, WOW, I think this tank is a great start! I can't believe its only 100g. It looks lovely. I like your aquascaping, as it gives a nice three-part look to your tank. If I have any suggestion, it is that you may be try moving some rock to give your fish more access to the back of the tank. I can't tell if the rock is against the back glass or not. You should make sure there is some space behind the rock to allow some water movement, and to allow the fish to hide. If you do decided to move the rock, you could stack some higher to allow corals that need more light a place to hang out.

well I dont really know where to begin as seeing I was coming home to post new pictures of a couple additions and such and now I'm seeing the new jewel damsel i bought is lying on the sand bed breathing very hard. It seems healthy was going around the tank fine eating and everything. any help is definately appreciated i dont know whats wrong with the fish thanks. After the pictures and description of the damsel I'll move onto some other things im wondering thanks.

thats him healthy
CIMG2244.jpg

this is what I came home too, I got him on saturday and this new lfs Im going to tested the awater and said everything was good. Said my salinity was a little high the but the quality was excellent they said. Another thing is the tang has gone up to him about 5 times shaking right by him and actually got him up once and he began swimming around. So I need help dont know what to do.

CIMG2258.jpg

this next one is more of an I.D. I noticed couple days ago that this thing on the rock (which doesnt look alive) is eating the sheddings from this little leather coral..what is that thing?

CIMG2251.jpg

also what kind of coral is this is it a leather coral with polyp extensions?..I'd like to know why sometimes some sprout and some dont, just wondering if there is a science to it or just random

CIMG2211.jpg

this last thing is something i found crawling in my rock. looks like a pancake its black and has a white stripe going down the center of it. I had seen it before but it was much smaller, and I didnt have my camera. Sorry its not close up this camera wont focus to get in close

CIMG2231edit.jpg

well thanks for everything i havent seen the damsel get up..say the worst happens do I leave him in there or am i supposed to take him out. this sucks! :frustrat: such a beautiful fish

Back