10k, 14k, 15k, 20k? Metal Halide

Gdbyrd

life's a beach
What do you guys use with what type of tank(softie, sps, mixed, etc). I'm in the market for a new bulb and need some advice.

150w Metal Halide HQI. Tank is 33" deep, softies and LPS. Also, what manufacturer? The same kelvin rating bulb from different manufacturers seems to have a totally different light.

I see a lot of people recommending Pheonix which is what I'm going to get. I have a mixed reef and have done well with Hamilton (14000K) but Pheonix is supposed to be one of the best.

The color of the bulb will also look different when used with different ballasts as well.

I've kept softies, LPS, SPS, and anemones in both my reefs. In the 75g I'm using 2 250w XM 15k. And the JBJ a 150w Pheonix 14k.

The color of the bulb will also look different when used with different ballasts as well.

Very true!

Well the lower the rating the better growth right? But the higher the kelvin rating the more color production? Does the lighting make it just look better or do the corals actually become more colorful?

Do leathers light up like LPS/Zoas do under blue lighting?

Well the lower the rating the better growth right? But the higher the kelvin rating the more color production?
Do leathers light up like LPS/Zoas do under blue lighting?

That is correct...and my leather has a blue hue under the actinic lighting.

Back