155 gallon nightmare?

Picasso

Seahorse Whisperer
So, I got this FREE 155 gallon bow-back tank. All I knew was it has a leak. I decided I could give it a try at fixing the leak so I picked it up. Since moving the beast into my house with 3 feet of snow on the ground was becoming a problem, I called a glass place to see how much they would charge to fix the tank. The guy said he has done this sort of thing a few times in the past and he would charge me $100 to re-seal it with aquarium safe silicone and to store it for a couple months until the snow melted. I decided to do it. So, I picked the tank up yesterday, got big guys coming over today to move it and last night I had this awful nightmare that he didn't use the right kind of silicone. He used the mildew resistant stuff and I didn't know it and put my horses in the tank and everything died. Now I'm freaked that this guy really didn't use the right kind of silicone. How can I tell? What would happen if he didn't? It's a reputable glass place very big and been in the community for years. I should have done this myself. Grrrrrrr

c

If its reputable, and obviously you trust it (you decided to give them your business) then trust in what they do is quality, and that they would not make an error on a project of this size (155g is a lot to me and quite a reminder that you are working on an aquarium). Call and verify to be sure, if you are still worried ask specifically for the manufacturer of the silicone he used. He should know it off the top of his head, cant be to many safe silicone brands in that shop.

I think you'll be just fine and are worrying over nothing. The dream put other thoughts/doubts in your head. Like other have said, call and ask about the brand they used and you'll know for sure. If they did mess up and seal it with non-aquarium safe silicone, make them rip it out and reseal since it was their mistake.

So I called the guy, he used CRL 33S on the tank. Called the manufacturer and found out that this is Not aquarium safe and because it is an acid based sealant, there is no way to remove it. So, I paid a guy $100 to ruin it for me. Glad I had the dream and I'm really pissed right now.

C

I'm really upset. I specifically said it needed to be special silicone that is aquarium safe. The girl said, don't worry, he's done these before. Those aquariums cost 1275.00-1500.00. Can't call the guy, he's closed. Darn it.

I'm really upset. I specifically said it needed to be special silicone that is aquarium safe. The girl said, don't worry, he's done these before. Those aquariums cost 1275.00-1500.00. Can't call the guy, he's closed. Darn it.

Personally, I would go over there and rip that guy a new butthole. :grumble: Or tell him he is going to have to cover the cost of purchasing a new 155G tank. Just my :twocents:

I'd say he needs to cover cost of purchasing. that's BS. I'm sorry to hear about this C.

IF he's not reasonable and at very minimum refunds your money, we can all start calling him until he relents. :D

Sorry to hear he messed up. Good luck for the dream. I'd definitely go to that shop and not leave until they have agreed to replace the whole tank. If they give you any guff just bring up the lawyer talk. Take your stance and don't back down. Tell him you'll file a claim with the Better Business Bureau. Make sure you have your ammo ready for this jerk. Good luck!

You can always take him to small claims court. Unfortunately, if you don't have your requirement for "aquarium safe silicone" in writing, it's a matter of he-said, she-said and you may not have a very good shot at winning. This sucks, I'm sorry Catherine.

OK, I've got the guy on the phone, I'm on hold, he's telling me they use this on aquariums all the time and I'm being unreasonable. I said that according the the manufacturer of the silicone this tank is gone but he's acting like I'm being unreasonable.....grrrrrrr.... any advice?

Catherine

You can always take him to small claims court. Unfortunately, if you don't have your requirement for "aquarium safe silicone" in writing, it's a matter of he-said, she-said and you may not have a very good shot at winning. This sucks, I'm sorry Catherine.

Small claims might not be the best way to go. Once you file this type of claim: Win, Lose, Tie, you cannot file another claim against the guy to try to recover those damages again.

Now H1ker suggested bringing up lawyer talk, which might be a good idea, as most people - especially small business owners would rather not have lawyers involved (they cost time and money!). And definitely threaten BBB.

If you are 100% sure that you asked if his silicone was "aquarium-safe", and he understood that you needed "aquarium-safe" silicone, then he is liable (you made an oral contract with him!) for damage recovery costs. This means that (since the tank is destroyed) you will have to purchase a new tank at whatever it costs, and he will have to cover that cost.

HOWEVER, if he truly misunderstood what aquarium-safe silicone is, then the contract you made with him is void. He may get "off-the-hook" for it.

This is if I am right... :roll:

Yeah, so I tried to be reasonable about this. I told them that according to CRL, the manufacturer, that this silicone used to be approved for tanks but about 5 years ago they changed the formula. They say it is clearly marked that way on their label. I said repeatedly when I dropped the tank off that it needs to be "special silicone that has been approved for aquariums." They told me that they do this sort of thing all the time and they know. I kind of think that even if I didn't say that then they should know anyway. It's a big tank for fish, they should know how to repair it properly or tell me that they don't do this service. When I take my car to the shop I don't have to tell them how to fix my brakes properly, why should a tank be any different? I did tell them, I told them several times. The manager of the shop is acting like I'm being sooooo outrageous because I think this tank is ruined. They use it all the time on tanks and no one complains about fish dying. I told them to call CRL.

What I don't understand is why can't the bad silicone be removed and replaced with new silicone? CRL says something about because it's acid based sealant? Does anyone know what that means? Won't a razor-blade take it off the glass? I've never heard of anything like that.

Catherine

They might not be able to remove all of it because the acid "might" etch into the glass a bit. That's the only reason I can come up with.

What I don't understand is why can't the bad silicone be removed and replaced with new silicone? CRL says something about because it's acid based sealant? Does anyone know what that means? Won't a razor-blade take it off the glass? I've never heard of anything like that.

Ok I just looked up the silicone on the CRL Website. Read the Important Note: down at the bottom of the page. "Do not use for fabrication of aquariums." I am betting any amount of money that CRL puts this on their labels too (so that they can avoid any liability). Since this guy obviously didn't read that, and it is stated plain as day, then you have all rights to a decent lawsuit with strong supporting evidence. :D

Idiots like this guy need to be approached in a more agressive tone. Otherwise you're never going to get anywhere. Again, just my :twocents:/thoughts.

i bet you could cut all the seams and redo it

You MAY be able to, but I would call the manufacturer personally, and find out from them as to why they sealant shouldn't be used, and whether or not you could remove it and reseal it with the proper sealant, without the possibility of harming the fish.

Last edited:
I should think they would research their products that they use before assuring its safety. I'm sorry Catherine. That sounds downright infuriating!! I say you give their number to Yote and have him give them a call! *LOL*

Back