2 Lessons learned...

Picasso

Seahorse Whisperer
Ok, I needed to go to my LFS today for water. After my last visit and coming home with a couple of 'shrooms, I decided to take my daughter along to help keep me from buying something. Lesson one: I MUST GET MY OWN RODI UNIT. Lesson 2: my daughter is not good at her new job. Pics of my new fish and zoo's as soon as my camera is charged.

Catherine

Well, I just got the fish and the zoo's. My daughter fell in love with a maroon clownfish. We're calling him Gus.

Catherine

Sounds like a cool new guy, be careful as they can be very aggresive towards you.

OT LOVE the new avatar. mmmm Norma Jean.

don't add fish to quick, one every 3 to 4 weeks or your bioload will never mature to handle those fish, how many do you have now and what size tank. Your gonna see algae bloom from hell if you don't slow down on fish, shrooms and polyps will be fine but fish have to add slow.

Also, learn from my experience, DONT get an anemone for that maroon clown! They're not nice to them, which is the opposite of what my LFS told me when I bought it.

JAG107, I spent all evening looking for a bubble tip anemone, I thought the clowns loved them?

Here's a couple of snap shots of my new guys.....

Zuzu: Quiz, what famous Christmas movie had a character named Zuzu?

ZuZu.jpg
[/IMG]

Gus:

gus.jpg

I'm still trying to work with my skimmer to get the micro bubbles out. Grrrrrrrr

Catherine

That's a nice looking clown! I love mine, he's just too aggressive toward my anemone. Also, I made the mistake of not waiting at least 6 or 8 months to add one, they need very stable and clean water, along with bright lighting.
Here's mine yesterday:
11-28-08feedingRBTA004.JPG

This is what it looked like in January:
100_1599.jpg

Go to this website, it is an immense resource on rose anemones. Basically what this anemone keeper told me is that the maroon clowns are just too aggressive for BTA's; a clarkii clown or percula, ocelaris would be a better choice. So for now, I'm trying (in vain) to catch my maroon and move him before he totally kills my nems. HTH

my maroon clown killed a couple of anenomes from rubbing all over it stressed it out, unless you get one big enough. i finally got a big green bubble tip anenome that can take the abuse.

Catherine, your tank is not ready for any kind of anemone. Anemones are more demanding and difficult to keep than most corals. They need pristine water conditions and rarely survive in tanks that have been set up for less than a year.

Clowns will do perfectly fine and will be perfectly happy without an anemone.

Back