2 Lessons learned...

Catherine, your tank is not ready for any kind of anemone. Anemones are more demanding and difficult to keep than most corals. They need pristine water conditions and rarely survive in tanks that have been set up for less than a year.

Clowns will do perfectly fine and will be perfectly happy without an anemone.

I'll even go a step farther and recommend to not keep an anemone at all in a reef tank.I had (notice HAD) a bubble tip anemone that decided after being in the same corner for a year,to take a walk.It went right through the middle of 6 SPS colonies(all over 6 inches).Every single colony it touched,bleached out and died.A little over $400.00 worth,gone in one night.

What an expensive stroll! Yeah, mine is going back tomorrow. The little clown looked lonely and I read somewhere that if you don't get them together, then they don't bond correctly. I'll get an emerald foot crab instead.

hey, yote, when are you going to post that photo?

Catherine

As soon as I can figure out why my computer wont let me open the file.Opened the first one fine,but not the second.

And I got another one for ya,as soon as my camera battery charges:D

The first one is the one you should post, it has been sized for uploading. The second one is the same as the first but it is bigger, if you want to print it use that one. It's a .tiff and you should be able to open it with any basic art/photo program. I can change it if you can't get it open. Let me know. I'd be happy to clean up more if you want.

Catherine

Catherine,
A clownfish will "host" with just about any wavy LPS or soft coral. Pretty much any coral that moves around like an anemone, they will probably pretend to host. The only reason a clownfish needs an anemone is for protection in the wild. In our tanks, we protect them by not adding sharks and large triggers and other predators, so they have no need for one, unless you have a mating pair in their own special breeding tank.
So, if you want to see a clown rubbing itself onto some tentacles, long tentacle plate corals, hammers, even mushrooms are good "homes" for them, just depends on your clown's personal tastes :)

Catherine,

Make sure you have enough food for the emerald crab.
I've seen tanks your size without enough algae (especially new ones) where the crab will bleach out white and eventually die of starvation. I would get some algae or seaweed and sink it for additional food for them.

Good luck.

mine like colt coral also.

DSC00859.jpg

I've found that hairy mushrooms are the best substitutes for anemones for clowns. Most LPS will die if irritated by the clown (my pair of clowns are vicious with corals and have killed at least half a dozen LPS, including torch, hammer, alveopora, gonipora, short and long tentacled plates, etc...).

Clowns seem to love hairy shrooms, and they are tough enough that having clowns messing with them all the time doesn't seem to impact their health.

OK, I talked to the guy at my LFS and he said he would take the anemone back no problem if I brought it back today. He also said that he felt like my tank could handle this anemone and if I feed it just like he said and if it dies then he will replace it. I think I'm taking it back anyway. My little clown still looks lonely though. I just think I need to take a couple of months and let things settle down. I'm thinking I want to add a little refugium and work on making a breeding area for pods, I don't want to mess around with fishes and mean anemonies. Should I trust my LFS guy and make a go of the anemone or let things settle down and work on getting my tank more efficient? What would you do? As always, Thanks.

Catherine

Take it back IMO. Even if he does replace it, it's still sad for it to die.
I think letting things settle down is a great idea, which is seldom practiced in this hobby. And fuges are fun! Mine has been up for 3 months now and is swarrrrming with all kinds of critters that would normally get eaten in the main tank.

I would take it back. If it dies because your tank isn't mature enough and he replaces it and that one dies you will feel twice as bad. I would go with the refugium idea, and let things mature.

Take it back. Anemones release toxins when they get sick or die, and a lot of times when one dies in a tank, it wipes out everything else in the tank with it.

Well, I just got back from my LFS. I took the anemone back. While I was there I told the guy that the clown looked lonely. He showed me a pink and yellow fish kind of shaped like a damsel but it was something else. He also showed me a couple of gobys. I love to watch the gobys when I go to his shop because they are always munching on sand and making holes. I remembered Biffs goby, Tard and Retard and I didn't want to mess with trying to cover my tank. The pink and yellow fish spent a lot of time hiding. I decided not to get anything! I looked at his tanks, he's got a killer deal on a 55 gallon with a beautiful solid oak stand and canopy. This tank has a black thing in the corner and holes built in for your sumps. I really liked it. He said he would sell it for 400.oo. My daughter wants a tank in her room now and I looked at his BioCube nano tanks for her. I'm going to watch Craigslist and see what I can pick up. Right now I'm going to figure out how to build a little refugium for my tank and to try and get some pods breeding in there. So, thanks for all the advice, I'm feeling better about my decision to go slow. THANKS!!

Oh, he didn't have any of those elbow squid things. Darn.

Catherine

your 125, does that include a stand and canopy? I got the feeling that most of the money was going to be spent on the stand instead of the tank. I'm not going to buy a bigger tank yet but I am going to keep my eyes open for a deal if it comes along.

Catherine

Thats was the tank,stand,and pipes for the over-flow.I may decide to build a canopy myself,IF I decide I want to retro some halides.

Back