2 questions..

marcah

Reef enthusiast
have a couple quick questions..
ok I have chalices favia's monipora candy canes trumpets star polyps amoung a few others in the tank all doing well, but for some reason I cant get any zoas to get growing, they are opening fully but not growing, any ideas? I did spot feed for awhile but stopped and they react the same either way..

and my coraline is growing out of control never had a tank that it grew in this quickly,, water change yesterday scraped the front glass spotted all over it by morning.. I think I may have a purple background in a month or two.. lol

Do you have too much light for the zoas? Where are you placing them in your tank, how much light is above them?

Have you noticed pests on any of them? Do they melt away? Any spider-like crabs, egg sacs, slugs? Have you tried doing a freshwater dip on them to see if anything comes off?

Do they have white spots?

down at the bottom of the tank just under a little overhangs.. one on set on each end of the tank.. no pests whatsoever no withering or die off. they fully open daily just not spreading at all.. no white spots and did do a dip a couple months back.. nothing..

Perhaps they are just very slow growing. Some varieties are, especially the more rare and colorful ones. If you get some boring brown ones, they should spread like weeds. ;)

Have you tried putting them out in the light, so they aren't shaded by overhangs?

try moving them higher? my radioactive dragon eyes exploded when i moved them higher. Just do it slowly try a quarter of the way up and see what happens.

I have tried them in several different locations.. left them for a week or so at each.. seem to open the fullest where I have them now..

just because they open the fullest doesnt mean they are happy,this means they may be reaching for the light,meaning they need more light

+1 reeftanker

Is there more flow in the higher areas? Try putting them in a higher light area with less water flow.

tried moving them up.. the more I go up the more closed they become..the lower I go the more they open.. hence why I have them under a little ledge at the bottom.. once I got them down here they open up nicely.. maybe I just need to be a little more patient and see how it goes..

tried moving them up.. the more I go up the more closed they become..the lower I go the more they open.. hence why I have them under a little ledge at the bottom.. once I got them down here they open up nicely.. maybe I just need to be a little more patient and see how it goes..
Absolutely true.:D

Yes its my tank. I'll put more pics up. Not very good pics though, the pics are from my phone. The photos are not recent, as I have rescaped and added more rock. The fish were getting to big for the way I had it laid out.

4-2-11.jpg

4-2-11.2.jpg

4-2-11.3.jpg

4-2-11.4.jpg

4-2-11.6.jpg

IMG00314-20110226-1534.jpg

IMG00316-20110226-1535.jpg

IMG00317-20110226-1535.jpg

IMG00370-20110418-1728.jpg

You have to give them time to readjust to the light. Also like Alex said watch what kinda flow they are in too. Diff zoa's like diff places in the tank.

Yes its my tank. I'll put more pics up. Not very good pics though, the pics are from my phone. The photos are not recent, as I have rescaped and added more rock. The fish were getting to big for the way I had it laid out.

Please start a build thread so I can drool over your tank more. Kthnx.

yeah i gave them around 10 to 12 days at ea spot I tried.. from stronger flow to lighter flow more light less light,, think I am just going to put them in a lower light mod flow area and leave them for a month or so and see what happens..

yeah i gave them around 10 to 12 days at ea spot I tried.. from stronger flow to lighter flow more light less light,, think I am just going to put them in a lower light mod flow area and leave them for a month or so and see what happens..
That should cover you. If you see them fully open, usually means they are doing ok. Some just grow faster than others.

Where's the vlamingi tang? Those guys are so cool!
I'll take some pics for ya later when the lights come on. He's tough to get, he doesn't like the camera. But he is in one of my album pics, he's just squared off with the camera making him very hard to see.

Back