2 Quick Questions

scu95821

Reefing newb
Base Rock- Some of my base rock was live rock a long while ago. Do i need to clean every bit of the old critters off of it? Would they help with cycling? Or do i need to keep scrubbing.

Hard water stains- Will they hurt anything? My 55gal used to be a fresh H20 tank and has stains around the top. I removed most of them from the front and visable side but kinda did a half assed job on the rest.

I would scrape as much of the dead stuff off as possible. It will just decay and possibly cause a longer cycle.

Try using some vinegar to disolve the hard water stains. Most of em are calcium deposits which disolve in acid which vinegar is.

Also, just to put it out there. If you used any copper medications in the fresh water tank, the copper is still in there and could cause trouble if you are trying to set up a reef tank. Copper is highly poisonous to corals, shrimp, and snails.

I would get a copper test and check it after you have the water in there for a day or two.

Thanks,

The tank wasn't mine and I'm not sure what was in it before.
I'll get a copper test kit tomorrow and keep scrubbing tonight.

+1 Bj
Vinegar will take care of the hardwater stains.
Get as much of the dead matter off the rock as you can.The more thats on there,the longer the cycles going to be.

Back