200 micron filter sock cleaning?

salt01

Reefing newb
what are the best methods for cleaning the 200 mic filter socks? ive heard of many ways on the net but would like some better input from everyone. i usually use a garden hose but its getting cold outside. herd of washing machine but then wouldnt soap hurt your tank?

You can wash it with bleach and water, just make sure you rinse very well...or just rinse very well with pressurized water. If you place it in the washing machine, just don't add detergent.

I wash mine by hand in the sink with a small amount of dish soap then rinse it out three times. I haven't had any problems that I know of doing it that way.

I wash mine in the washing machine. I have 5 sets, so when I place the last set in I throw the dirty ones in the machine. Turn them inside out, wash in hot water with vinegar. I normally run them through twice and then air dry.

My method is this.

When I take them out I turn them inside out and rinse them right away to get the big stuff. This usually makes the run off run greenish for a few seconds.

When I am ready to wash I just fill up my 5 gallon bucket used only for this with 10-1 Bleach and hot water. I usually use even more water than that.

Let it sit for 1-2 days, then I rinse like you wouldn't believe and air dry. Sometimes I place them in front of my fan if I am in a hurry but not usually since I have 3 pairs.

I purchased the eShopps X-Large Square Socks Holder with 2 socks and they were put in Tuesday morning and will come out probably Saturday. I used to have only one at a time for both inputs until I purchased a new 75Gal and built a new sump and it was a new sock every 2-3 days. Ughhh

Note: The eSopps socks have to be bleached or cleaned however you do it or the skimmer will go nuts. My Aqueon socks never had to be just the eShopps. The squares are huge. The holder is enormous. I will post a build sort of, of the new sump. I made a custom bubble trap outside the sump.

Last edited:
Back