2010 Pico recount.

Pico Vote

• Deco

Votes: 25 61.0%
  • Pico

Votes: 16 39.0%

• Total voters
The issue with the glass vs acrylic agrument is that neither glass nor acrylic impact reef growth. The acrylic tank clearly has better lighting and flow, allowing you to keep better corals.

Personally i think that we should choose the tank with the better equipment and look beyond the small detail of glass or acrylic. Once you get corals in the tanks i think people will be far more interesting in them than what your tank is made of.

Or we could all have plain shrooms in pretty glass tanks!

I'm pretty new but from what I've been reading the light on the pico is sufficient for the size/depth of the tank. And with a tank that small I dont think its going to put any crazy stress on the filter or have too little flow. So IMHO it seems to come down to what would look nicer as everything else is pretty much the same with these small tanks as far as doing the job. The light on the Deco just feels awkward to me when I look at it for some reason...glass or acrylic doesn't much matter to me.

The Deco looks good in person. I've seen one before. But Alexander has the final say. He is the great game master! So Alexander call it and give us a start date so we can get our stuff ordered! Please, of course Sir.

I agree, I want to start my tank with this :D then I can compete from the other side of the world ;) even though mine will be slightly different with weaker lights

According to a friend of mine who had the pico he had to upgrade the lights to keep anything more than shrooms. The intensity of the light is more important than how many watts per gallon.

watts per gallon is BS...what's more important is the placement in the tank in comparison to the lights...SO just because the the pico has enough watts per gallon, you would probably need to put anything other than shrooms in the top 3/4 of the tank...so I still say deco.

Well either way, im running off a custom one, and my lights are only 13 watt fluro's which is less :( the only thing i can do is get 2 but then thats 2 high for the competition in regards to the deco, looks like ill be running a little behind everyone ;) but should be fun ! :D

Well either way, im running off a custom one, and my lights are only 13 watt fluro's which is less :( the only thing i can do is get 2 but then thats 2 high for the competition in regards to the deco, looks like ill be running a little behind everyone ;) but should be fun ! :D

as nice as it is to have a custom one the whole reason we are voting is because everyone has to have the SAME tank with NO modifications whatsoever... NO customization except for the corals that you use. this is why we are voting ;)

as nice as it is to have a custom one the whole reason we are voting is because everyone has to have the SAME tank with NO modifications whatsoever... NO customization except for the corals that you use. this is why we are voting ;)

Sharkie, he got special permission to use a different one because he lives in Australia and could not find either of these two specific tanks for sale anywhere in his country. He will, however, have to use something as close to the winning tank as possible. Because of his inability to obtain either of these tanks, he is under a different set of circumstances than the other entrants...

Working hard on that sharkie ;)

I have found a small, 3 gallon pico tank made from acryllic and it has a HOB filter medium sized has a 13 watt pc globe over it and just found a second one that has 9 watts, sooooo, i either run 21 watts in the tank, or 13, depending on what alex biff and the others think of this. I dont mind either (this is all to match the 19 watts of the deco tank as close as possible) unfortunately, i cant buy 2 9 watts because of how it fits on the tank and that i had bought the 13 watt a while back and cant trade it back in for a 9 watt.

other than that it just has a small heater and anything else will be rocks and inhabitants!

I think no matter which one is chosen, we should get on it. It may take as long as 30 days for everyone to get theirs. Especially with the large amount of participants we are going to have for this thing.

Ok, so this may be a silly question but, what's the difference between the two? I tried looking it up but I keep seeing different answers all over the place.

One is acrylic, has more light, and a more powerful filter.

The other is glass, looks sleeker, but has less light and a less powerful filter.

Back