$$$

Thats alot to me too. I dont have that much in my 30, but then again I bought most of my stuff used. The most expensive part of a tank it lights, and I only paid 30.00 for mine off ebay.

I have managed to spend 110 on one rock and 62 on another and the sad thing is the one I spent 62 on wasnt even 1/5 of the one I spent 110 on.

well lets see 500 tank and stand 1100 lights 4000 in corals 500 fish and cleaning crew
food buffer and all that we'l just say 1200
plus live rock sand
damn i just now seen how much i spent all in all but you got to think i love this shit so i had to have the best 55 around all this is just for my 55

i think tank and stand was somewhere around 700.00 new
remora pro with surface skimmer 270.00
rio 2500 for remora pro skimmer 48.00
72" outer orbit with 3 150 watt MH 4 pc lights 900.00
aproximate 400.00 LR
100.00 LS
prizm pro skimmer 150.00
3 maxi jet 1200 60.00
2 mjmods 80.00
hang on filter 30.00
kent phosphate reactor 42.00
maxi jet 400 for reactor 12.00
cleaner crew approximate over last year 300.00
heater 45.00 300 watt
ro/di 5 stage unit from ebay 99.00
300.00 in fish
45.00 hang on fuge diy
20.00 fuge light

somewhere in 3600.00 to 3800.00 range for my 125 gallon

29 gallon 100.00 tank and stand
169.00 nova xtreme t5's
maxi jet 1200 20.00
maxi jet 900 16.00
40.00 LS
100.00 LR
70.00 fish
60.00 cleaner crew
100.00 prizm deluxe skimmer
45 skilter 400 hang on filter modified into hang on fuge

24 deluxe nano cube free
15 lbs LR free
15 dry homemade rock 14.00
xtra pc light added to hood 30.00
30.00 crushed coral and some kind of premium fine grain ocean sand
ceramic rings for bio filter 20.00

not including prices of corals alot were frags givin free or alteast up to 40 bucks a piece ball park guess including clams 500.00

100.00 test kits
not including food and additives or phosban or carbon

wow thats alot of money hope wife don't see this.

Im gunna give you all the same anwser I give people when they ask me how much it cost to have Donovan Andrews JR. tattoo my chest and leg...... I dont know, I dont want too know....way to much but worth every penny!

Last edited:
This is a difficult questions. In my 12 gallon nano mabey $500+. On my 850 I have spent aprox. 25000.00 + so far, I haven't sat and added it all up yet, thats a very scary thought. Whats even scarier is that I still need to add the rest of my halides (5 more 400watt), and a few odds and ends on top of more coral and fish. I have over 2000lbs of live rock (Tonga) 800lbs sand, I have started to collect the rare and unusual fish and coral, I have 3 fish right now that are worth 1100. I broke down my 300 gallon and upgraded to the 850, so I was able to use the old 300 gallon for my sump and odds and ends from that set up.

WOW! I think I will stop now I'm scared.........:yikesu:

gosh..this hobbie is expensive....i try to kepp it simple..collecting my own stuff, but maintanance, foods, supplements, its expensive anywere...

This is a difficult questions. In my 12 gallon nano mabey $500+. On my 850 I have spent aprox. 25000.00 + so far, I haven't sat and added it all up yet, thats a very scary thought. Whats even scarier is that I still need to add the rest of my halides (5 more 400watt), and a few odds and ends on top of more coral and fish. I have over 2000lbs of live rock (Tonga) 800lbs sand, I have started to collect the rare and unusual fish and coral, I have 3 fish right now that are worth 1100. I broke down my 300 gallon and upgraded to the 850, so I was able to use the old 300 gallon for my sump and odds and ends from that set up.

When do we get to see some pictures of this beast?

WOW man direct me to your Pictures :^:

let Me think ! 4 months in...

I pulled 3 tanks ( 55, 40 tall , and a nasty 30) out of that place for free 1 stand for free ...
2 of my fish were free ! 4 fish Lfs came to around $80.00
$44.00 dead anoenome + 44 dollars credit for the second anoenome that they sold me lol!!!
165$ lights Chem+ salt around $50.
All in all Id still say I'm ahead!

no kidding!!! I am dying to get a tank that big. I am drooling over my planned 300 gallon angelfish tank in 2 years. I cannot imagine having the freedom to stock an 850 - please, please, please, puh-leeeez post pics.

-Dr Marco :sfish:

i realy dont want to know how much i spend on my tank...i think i have a problem...lol...hey put at least im not buying drugs...i do buy beer but thats all:beerchug:

Ummm...it's depressing as hell for me...but I think I can make you guys feel better.

With having everything built/installed for us from scratch at $75 per hour...attaching the tank to the sewer and water lines...ordering a custom tank that got broken (by a son and a wrench) after it was installed, so having to order a SECOND custom tank...RO water systems...plus live rock and all of the corals/fish/invertabrates/anemones that I've purchased and had to RE-purchase due to death, (I've gotten MUCH better BTW)...we're just over 12K. Don't tell my husband, he thinks we're still under 10. lol

Ummm...it's depressing as hell for me...but I think I can make you guys feel better.

With having everything built/installed for us from scratch at $75 per hour...attaching the tank to the sewer and water lines...ordering a custom tank that got broken (by a son and a wrench) after it was installed, so having to order a SECOND custom tank...RO water systems...plus live rock and all of the corals/fish/invertabrates/anemones that I've purchased and had to RE-purchase due to death, (I've gotten MUCH better BTW)...we're just over 12K. Don't tell my husband, he thinks we're still under 10. lol

I literally cringed at the part about your son and a wrench. That sucks bad.

I'm going to guess around $4,500 for me. Which a lot of it was from when I was just working part time and going to school. I probably spent a good third or more of last year's income on my tank.... ugh.

I have easily spent well over 20K. Problem is that there always seems to be something else to buy. :(

BTW nice thread resurrection. I thought this was a new thread until I read that Biff's "husband" was checking up on her on the forum. :lol:
That would mean NDB would have to get up from his recliner. Ain't happering.

Back