28 more pounds of life rock, critter included!

NewbReefer

Reefing newb
well i just added 28lbs of live rock to my system, it's getting there but im still a little shy of the amount i need. Don't mind the lighting the actinics were on along with camera flash.

liverock01.jpg

liverock02.jpg

This little crab decided he wanted outta the LFS:bounce:
Crab01.jpg

Anyone know what kinda crab it is?

Looks good to me. Dont you love hitchhickers? To me the crab looks like a emerald crab but I could be wrong. Looks just like the one I just bought.

I love hitchhikers!
If i had to guess i would have said emarald crab too but it doesn't have the green color to him that i have seen in other pics, hope it is emerald though, there suppose to be good algea eaters and scavangers.
I put the PVP bar in so that the cleaner crew, can get under there and stir the surface of the substrate easier.

Last edited:
Good idea with the pvc I wanted to put some in but thought it would be too hard to set up for the rock. I might go back and try later. My emerald isnt real green like most the others Ive seen hes more like the color of the one you got.

the pvc rack wasn't to bad it turned better than i thought it would. it's only 1/2 pvc and you can make it what ever size you need at first i was gonna make one with two shelves but it would have been to big. you also wont need quite as much live rock.

it looks great!!..i like the rocks very much!! were are they from??? what kind of filter is the one inside the tank??..

oh, lol, didn't read your last post right, They are Pukani rock from Figi, there chunks of coral that died and got knocked off in storms, they fall to the seabed and become live rock. I do like the overflow in the All-Glass brand aquariums so far.

Wish I hada thought about sitting my rock up like that.BUt I sure aint taking 75 lbs of rock out now.Looks greatNewb.
You little crab is probably an emerald,Ive seen em albino,red,green,blue.There not just green.

I'd remove the crab. I just took a crab from work that looked a lot like an emerald crab except it was black and HUGE. I fed it to my mantis shrimp. Anyhow I'd throw it into the sump.

Did you have problems with your crab, i was tempted to put him in my refugium tell i knew for sure what he was, plus he'd make a good refuge cleaner. He seems to have made a small piece of rubble rock his home so i can always remove him.

I'm not sure if he would have been a problem but he was big and mean and he came in a box of LR from Tonga. I wasn't willing to take the chance with him. Anyways he put up a valiant fight but ultimately became dinner ;)

Tank looks great. Thats going to be a great set-up. I like the idea of setting the rock on a pvc rack. I got a crab that looks a lot like that as a hitchhiker as well. The LFS guy that I trust(and the only one in this area I trust) told me to look very closely at his pinchers. If where the pincher comes together is a very small cup shape it should be ok. If it comes to a sharp point get it out. It's kind of hard to tell and he had to pull a few from the tank so I could see the differance up close. Mine has the small cup shape and has been completely fine for a few months. If a fish or snail comes up missing though I'm going crabbing.

I just discovered (two months ago) an identical crab that I've probably had in there for a year. I've actually only seen half of him on a few occasions, because he hides in the rock and only comes out at night.

I'd pull him if I could catch him, but at this point he doesn't seem to be causing any problems (that I can see...). I've had bad luck with introduced crabs...

At any rate, he's been harmless up to this point, but if anything changes I'll let you know so you can pull the little sucker.

Thats exactly what this guy does, he only comes out at night and even then he gets startled easily. From what it looks like he has pretty pointed pinchers so im gonna pull him and take a picture of the pincers and then prolly stick him in the refuge.

Back