30 Gallon Long

you can add as many as you like as often as you like because they dont effect the bioload like fish do. And you dont need to wait until you have all the fish in there to add corals, IMO some corals are easier than fish. I would start with soft corals and if that goes well, branch into LPS corals, and if that goes well, then I would look into keeping SPS corals. LPS and soft corals are very forgiving of the high nutrient conditions found in new tanks, and handle the changes a young tank pretty well. SPS are much more picky of lighting, water quality and how stable the system is.

I would start with the zoas, it seems like the brain corals are a little more touchy out of the LPS corals. But the frogspawn and candy canes are much easier LPS corals to start with.

I personally feel kenya trees are more of a weed than a coral, they have been known to take over tanks and they are almost impossible to kill. However, some people really like them because they grow fast

Well, I went to my LFS today and found a nice Coralife 36" fixture with 2x39 watt 10,000K and 2x39 watt Actinics along with 3-4 blue LED's (I couldn't tell from the picture on the box). It was a tough choice because it's $249.99, but I think in the end it'll be money well spent. I also found a couple of Hydor Koralia Nano powerheads rated at 300 gph each for $35/ea. The tank, stand and canopy will be $300 together. The only thing I have left is to figure out a skimmer because I'll probably be using either 1 or 2 Marineland heaters to keep costs down, but still keeping good quality products.
I think I'd like to use a sump for my filtration, though without a refuge. I have no idea on how to go about this, though... : |
On top of that, I'll be using a H.O.T. Magnum for 8-12 hours after each water change to polish and then leave it.

Livestock:
Ocellaris Pair
Royal Gramma
Orange Spot Prawn Goby
Mandarin Dragonet
Fire Shrimp
Margarita & Turbo Xnails x6 (3/ea.)
Scarlet Hermit Crabs x4
Banded Serpent Star

Clam
Purple Sebae
Zoas
Mushrooms
Brain
Frogspawn
Bubble Coal
Fingers
Birdsnest
Leathers

The margarita snails will die in our tanks there a cooler water species the moxican turbo's are fine....and i really wouldn't put 5 fish in a 30g specially the mandarin.

The single brights really aren't enough light to maintain corals. You might get away with some easy softies way high up in the tank, but I wouldn't recommend it. Double brights are about the lowest I'd go with if you want corals. I have the Reef-Capables over my 50 gallon and they are great!

i dont think you will be able to keep coral with the single or double bright. its a freshwater light, i would just stick with the 4 bulb t5 light

Can I have the sebae with that 4 bulb T5HO? If not, what will I need? Will that be sufficient for all the other corals I'm planning?

Okay. I'll look at how wide that 4 bulb is and then see if I have extra space to fit a MH. If I can only fit a smaller one, could I use 2 pendents? And if I'm using a canopy, would you recommend having an open top vs. a versa top? Then I could have the long fixture and one or two MH's on one side for the sebae?

You dont need both the metal halide and the t5 bulbs, its more of an either or situation. I personally would go with metal halides if you are serious about the nem.

Your tank is only 12 inches high, right? With that depth I think you'll be just fine with a 4 bulb T5 fixture. IMO that's not deep enough to require 6 bulbs even for a nem.

The 38 gallon is 19 3/4" tall. So you think I'd just be best off with that 4-bulb Coralife fixture?
Also, how would an Acropora do?

Back