30 Gallon Long

Happy Turkey Day! I apologize, I don't have much time to chat right now because I'm working so much over the holidays, but I'm waiting for my wife to get out of the shower before we leave. : ]

I will look at what that fixture has and see if I might need to upgrade. (Hopefully they're good for at least 6 months or so...it's a $250 light...)

Question: UV Sterilizer or Skimmer and what kind of each? I want to keep price on this one down on the lower end, but not giving up quality for the price. There IS a happy median that I've found with freshwater equipment, but I need to find that median in saltwater.

I was thinking of running a timer. There would be the Skimmer and one powerhead on 24/7, the other powerhead (both are rated at 300 gph) and the lighting during the day and the H.O.T. Magnum and the moonlight(s) on during the night. I was thinking of the filter at night because most of the "live" rock and sand will be "sleeping" (or resting, whatever you prefer) during the night so there won't be as much filtration. The timer would be a nice digital fancy one that I could program the specific hours into. I saw it somewhere, just can't remember right now...

Anyways, have a good holiday season and thanks for the help so far!

So should I get another ~400 gph powerhead for the daytime? Because that skimmer (225) plus the two nanos (300/ea.) would be 800 and I'd need about 300-400 gph more for 30x the tank volume/hour. I could run 1 on each end 24 hours and 1 on one side for 12 hours plus the skimmer? Or should I just go with a sump.........? ($$$$$)

Im confused, it sounds like you are only going to run the skimmer for half the day? It should run 24 hours a day, and you can turn a powerhead off a night, but im not really sure why you would want to

No, 24 hours for the skimmer. I've heard the ocean is calmer at night so that's why I was thinking of turning one off at night. But it sounds as if I should run the 2 powerheads, the skimmer and just suck it up and pay for a sump, too?

If you want, having a sump can make things easier because its a place to put equipment out of the way and you get more water volume, but i dont recommend getting a wet/dry filter thingie. You are far better off with a skimmer and fuge in the sump

You will need to buy a return pump that will pump your desired amount of flow through the sump. The pump will determine how much water flows down the overflow into the sump area.

So if I have a 300 gph pump, that's all that will flow from the overflow? So I won't ever have an overflow from the sump or the tank? I thought there would be a lot more math involved...

Okay, so a 300 gph pump for the sump, the two 300 gph powerheads and that skimmer is rated at 225 gph would get me right about 15 gph below what I need for 30 times the tank volume per hour. Is that close enough? ~29.45?

Well, how fast the pump returns water to the tank will determine how fast water can go down the overflow, but do be aware that you lose quite a bit of gph on a pump when it has to move water strait up. But I think you are still close enough on the flow

And a sump? I was planning filtration and that's why I wanted 300's. Should I go with 2 Koralia Nano 425's and the 225 skimmer along with a 300 gph sump return?

Back