36 Gal Bowfront

jamespias

Paranoid Reefer
This is my first saltwater tank. I have kept freshwater for years, but this has always been a dream. I'll post up new stuff as it comes, but I'm trying REALLY hard to take everything slow.

Tank: 36 Gal Bowfront
Lighting: 4-bulb T5HO (96 W total)
Skimmer: Reef Octopus BH1000
Flow: Korolia 750 and Korolia Nano 450
40 lbs live sand
Around 45 lbs live rock

The tank has been running for about 4 weeks now. I'm currently in the midst of a cyano outbreak, but levels are normal.
1.023SG/ 0 Amonia/ 0 Nitrites/ 0 Nitrates

Here's some pics of the rockwork anyway :D

I upgraded my lights on Tuesday to the Aquatic Life 4 bulb t5HO w/moonlight LED fixture. I also bought 3 Astrea snails to start on my CUC. They are busy cleaning up that cyano problem I mentioned (though out of the three, two of them seem a little lazy if you ask me).

Daylights:

Dawn/Dusk Lights (Blues Only):

Moonlights Only:

One Of My New Tank Buddies:

I went to the LFS today and picked up a Blue Spot Watchmen Goby and two blue leg hermits. Pics to follow once the goby decides he's done hiding, and the tank is his... :bounce:

Also, I finally got my phosphates downs, and with the new lights the cyano problem is going away. Which is a good thing because I was about over using the turkey baster to suck it out....TEDIOUS!

the tank looks good. just remember to take it slow and steady. adding anything this early or too much at once can throw all of your levels off especially if they all start dying. i know how hard it can be to not buy everything to put in there especially if it's your first tank. so far i think you've done well with the beginning process and picking out good equipment to start with. I can't wait to see what you do with it after everything acclimates.

No pics of the fish to come...he decided to see what the inside of the pump for my Reef Octopus looked like last night.... R.I.P. poor little guy :death:
I ordered some clear mesh to put over the intake on the skimmer so that I don't have any more unnecessary carnage in my tank. I really didn't think it would be an issue, but I guess it is. Will it be a problem to have my skimmer intake screened? I don't want to hinder the intake of pollutants, but I also can't have another fish death on my conscience.
Also, I do appreciate the concern over putting too much in too soon. The hermits are less than 1/2" each (very tiny guys), and I thought one fish could do for now. Let me know if you think that's too much too soon (the goby was only about 1" too....just a little guy...poor thing). Curiosity killed the..... :question:

Sorry to hear that...that just sucks...so the skimmer doesnt have some sort of fish guard?

The skimmer has a fish guard...it looks kind of like an overflow box that surrounds the intake. The "holes" in it are only 1/4" wide, but he was a little guy. Big enough holes I guess...Like I said, I'm going to put something over it at least while any fish that I put in there are small. Once they are bigger than 1/4" wide, I'll take it off. It still sucks though...

I had a green chromis get into my hob overflow some how. So I changed out the fish guard on it with eggcrate hasnt happened since.

I've been slowly adding to my CUC. I now have 6 (very small) dwarf blue leg hermits, 3 astrea snails, 6 nassarius snails, and an emerald crab. I have a few pics of the crab to post, but he hides most of the time, so nothing too exciting to show. My LFS was kind enough to special order me a bonded pair of tank bred Bangaii Cardinals though, and I should be picking them up tomorrow! I'm super stoked, and I'll have pics up ASAP :whoopee!:

Back