5.5g Box o' Stuff

That is amazing. Tell me how your expirience is with this guy bc I saw one and really wanted it but held off. Does it need an insanly deep sand bed? It would make a great addition to my 29g.

That is amazing. Tell me how your expirience is with this guy bc I saw one and really wanted it but held off. Does it need an insanly deep sand bed? It would make a great addition to my 29g.

This isnt my first one, I actually have one in my 90 as well. As far as the sand bed goes , you can build a pvc house for them like this :

DSCF6001.jpg

but you must make sure to smooth out the edges of the piping to prevent injury.

Then fill up about 1/4 of the pipe with sand (not sugar size grains, but nothing really coarse) then place the nem in the tube and fill with sand to surround the body with about 1/4" still sticking out of the sand.

IMG_0001.jpg

***FEEDING***

They will eat just about anything, I do spot feed mine about twice per week. I will use frozen mysis , along with FINELY chopped krill. You want to avoid giving large chunks of food because they have a tough time digesting it.

Also , slow moving fish such as mandarins may get eaten by them. Clowns are NOT meant to live in a tube nem, they can get eaten as well.

I have never lost a fish to mine (that I know of) and have noticed that as soon as something touches it , it retracts really fast like a feather duster.

Hope that helps

That looks really awesome. I don't think I have enough space in my tank for it though. Does the pvc have to be a certain size?

that piece is 1 1/4" dia.(i think) and about 6" long. you want to have enough room to allow for growth, and to be able to bury the tube structure. Other than that it can be what exer you want. I have seen them in shallow sand beds without any pvc structure, and that is what I will be trying with the new one. I will let you know how it goes.

Last edited:
well, dosing pumps have been running for about 2 weeks now. I am dosing the ESV B-Ionic 2 part @ 4ml per day 3 days per week. Then I do a 5g WC every 2 weeks (Sundays) Did a few quick tests today with my hanna checkers and got the following results

P04 = 0.01
ALK = 7.616 dkh
CAL = 420

I added a ton of SPS frags over the past couple of weeks, just havent glued them down yet. I was curious if my alk may be just a bit low for an SPS dominant tank. Any input would be great.

still need to get another mag. test kit , probably get this weekend

Thanks in advance

Back