5.5g Box o' Stuff

texreefer

Battle Dwarf
Tank has been up for about a month now, so the boring part is over with. Looked at getting all new stuff but still had a few things laying around from my old pico so here we go.

Specs :
Tank - 5.5g AGA
Filter - AC110 w/ fuge - purigen - chemipure elite
light - Rapid LED PAR38 80* optics
ATO - JBJ & Aqualifter
RKL - coming soon

For now I am going BB with the plan for SPS. I hear many people say that SPS tanks are better suited without sand. (opinions welcome on the issue) Not sure I am liking the BB look though. I also had thoughts of adding an MP10, but I think the AC110 will be plenty of flow even with the impeller blades shaved back. Now for the important stuff

PICHERS

[/url]

[/url]

love the scape, why do your rocks look like rainbows haha? their like blue orange green red

There beads of water on the under side of the glass top and I think it is making the light look weird in the tank. Once I get my screen top made then hopefully that will go away. It is much more noticeable in pictures , you cant really see it in person.

My reason may be a bunch of crap but it sounds good to me. LOL

Havent done much with this tank so far. It has 3 blasto frags, 1 zoa frag , a single snail , 1 hermit, and about a bazillion pods. I told the wife that I wanted monies or LFS gift cards for christmas to buy tank stuff, meaning new frags.

INSTEAD : She took it upon herself to be the "reef detective" on my computer.

Here is what I got :

Finding a comment where I said I wish the tank was a bit longer , she got :

8g.jpg

24x10x8 (shallow 8.4g) along with a RKL

and then going through my parts list I had saved a while back for the 5.5g :

newtoys.jpg

Reactor was actually for my large tank, but oh well.

So it looks like I will be making a tiny upgrade to the pico instead of adding life.

Not sure weather to be happy, or bummed out for the time that I have given the current tank to make sure it is settled and ready to go. Didnt really plan on starting over.

Since the tank came with an overflow kit, I guess I'm drilling it. I have the 20L sitting around that was a sump for my old 40B so I guess I will bring it back to life. Im sort of stuck on a few things though and need a little help.

I have always wanted to do an SPS dominant tank, but never got around to it. I hear of the zeo tanks but never tried, BUT I tried Bio Pellets on my larger tank with great luck at growing algae. On a tank this small would I be better off running a fuge, or GFO/Carbon reactor, or just run with the normal Water changes ? I have the SMR1 now which is meant for pellets, but not sure if they will help that much on such a small tank. Or should I combine a few of these to help keep things in check.

On the Zeo, and with Pellets I hear talk of intentionally overfeeding the tank to prevent some coral from starving out. I may have mis-read that but I think that is what I seen. Does this sound like a true statement ? Also I am looking into 2 types of dosing for the SPS route.

1. Brs 2 part with their dosing pumps (would like to go with the profilux stand alone, but not 100% decided yet)
2. Same dosing system as above but using the ESV B-Ionic 2 part. I have used it in the past and really like it, but I hear great things on the BRS stuff too. Also I can get the ESV local.

Lighting will be LED, 2x Rapid LED PAR38's for now . Looking into an AI sol or nano

Flow will be vortech - Have a 20 now, but thinking it may be overkill so I am leaning toward the 10

Skimmer - Reef Octo NWB110

Return - Quiet One pump, have a 3000 sitting around that I will use for Return and tee off to a manifold system to feed reactors if I go the reactor route. probably a 1200 or so if I run without reactors.

What I really need is for all of the SPS gawds to chime in and steer me in the right direction.

So Lets hear what you guys think.

Back