55 Gallon Community Stocking Idea

froglover007

Reefing newb
Here is my idea for my first SW tank (FOWLR). Any suggestions?

1. Common clown, pink skunk clown, or percula clown X1
2. Bangaii cardinalfish X1
3. Some kind of pygmy angel, preferably an African flameback angel as the last addition

Inverts:
1.Cone shell hermit crab, up to three
2.Decorator crab X1
3.Emerald crab, up to three
4.Skunk cleaner shrimp, fire cleaner shrimp, or marbled shrimp X3
5.Turbo snails X3, spider conch X1, or tiger cowrie X1
6.Crimson knobbed starfish X1, chocolate chip starfish X2, or serpent star X1
7.Urchin, any kind except toxic sea urchin (maybe replace the snail(s) with one of these?)

As you can see I am focusing much of the tank on invertebrates. I really would like a spider conch but would it eat my other inverts? I have heard horror stories about that but I think they mainly focus on other mollusks and leave most crabs and stuff alone.:question:
Tom

I don't know anything about spider conchs... I had a fighting conch that I didn't have any problems with (until the hermits ate him).

You could probably add a few more fish than you have on your list, too.

I would be careful with the starfish you have choose. I know for sure that the chocolate chip starfish is not reef safe, and the other one doesnt sound good.

I like your stocking list, but if you want an invert tank remember that they require pristine water conditions to flourish so make sure you keep those nitrates at zero. Also just do a little research on all your purchases before you buy them to make sure that wont eat each other!

Good luck! sounds like an awesome tank!

I do not plan on keeping corals or sessile inverts so (as far as I know) the starfish shouldn't be a problem. Do they eat mobile inverts? I will definitely wait for the tank to mature before buying the inverts. The reason I only chose a few species of fish is because I was worried about the inverts adding quite a bit to the bioload. Would they?
Tom

The inverts won't add significantly to your bioload. But with that many inverts, you will have to make sure they are getting enough to eat.

I will definitely try to provide enough food. I also plan to have a fairly deep sand bed as a lot of the species I am looking into prefer it. I am planning for it to be 4 or 5 inches with one part coral rubble, two parts coral sand, and one part live sand to seed it. Would a jawfish do alright in this tank?

I would avoid the crushed coral substrate. If you put a mix of different substrates, the smaller particles (sand) are just going to fall through to the bottom. And you will end up with layers. Crushed coral can also cause poor water quality. I would stick with just sand. I think a jawfish would be fine.

OK thank you. I just thought that jawfish need substrates of different sizes to build their burrows (or maybe that was for shrimp gobies...).

I have decided against the spider conch because they are getting rare from overcollection for various industries and their habit of munching up snails. Instead I am considering a Florida fighting conch and/or a tiger cowrie.
Revised List:

1. Common clown, pink skunk clown, or percula clown X1
2. Bangaii cardinalfish X1
3. Some kind of pygmy angel, preferably an African flameback angel as the last addition
4. Yellowhead jawfish

Inverts:
1.Cone shell hermit crab, up to three
2.Decorator crab X1
3.Emerald crab, up to three
4.Skunk cleaner shrimp, fire cleaner shrimp, or marbled shrimp X3
5.Turbo snails X3, Florida fighting conch, or tiger cowrie X1
6.Crimson knobbed starfish X1, chocolate chip starfish X2, or serpent star X1
7.Urchin, any kind except toxic sea urchin. I am thinking a pencil-slate urchin, fire urching, or tuxedo urching. These would be for looks or interest, I don't really care about their cleaning ability that much.

Last edited:
Make sure you have some sort of cover on your tank or you'll end up finding that jawfish on your floor one day.

Nope, you will be fine. Just get two small clown fish or two of very different sizes. Also try and stay with the same species, mixing them doesnt always go well.

Well Live Aquaria show that the bangaii cardinals are semi-aggressive and so are clowns. I would think that there might be an issue, but I could very well be wrong.

Well Live Aquaria show that the bangaii cardinals are semi-aggressive and so are clowns. I would think that there might be an issue, but I could very well be wrong.

It won't be an issue, generally you're better off trying to keep the same temperaments in a tank. Doing so will help reduce the risk of peaceful fish getting picked on by more aggressive ones. Of course like anything in this hobby every fish is different.

Back