55G Reef Aquarium

Oh I see what your trying to do.. I was looking at the diagram wrong.. Seems like a good idea.. And since your going to build your own sump, I take it your going to silicone your baffles into the tank?

What you guys think about this design? The valve is to control partial flow to refugium tank so if the pump is to strong I will release some more flow back to refugium. That way some of the pressure on the pump will be released.

sump.jpg

The idea of a refugium is to have a steady flow that will tumble your choice of algae around. Make sure your water is moving through your rubble as best you can.. you might want to get that plumbing as close to the right wall as u can facing it at the rubble.. That seems like a pretty complicated build..

I would not put your return in the middle of the sump, and for me I wouldn't put my drain right next to my skimmer.

If that's what you want to do then go for it.. There are easier and more efficient ways of designing a sump refugium and you can find all of them on this site most likely.

There are as many different sump designs as reefers. Mine is drain with skimmer, fuge return. Is this the best way? I have no clue. Could it be better? Again I have no idea. It works for my space. If this works for you then go for it.

If you know what you're doing it can be really cool to drill your tank. Make sure you use all the right materials. Personally, I'd rather spent the dough on an acrylic HOB overflow. That way you don't have to go about drilling your tank. They work amazingly, especially the ones with the built in, "Tom's Aqua Lifter" to maintain syphon.

Drilling your tank can be tricky.. If its the wrong type of glass it can shatter and then your screwed.. I have a tubeless overflow and it works great without an aqua lifter..

Guys do you think that acrylic .220 thick should be fine to build the refugium? Home Depot have it for $99 sheet size 36"X72" and 1/4" thk (which is actually .220") 96"X48" cost $178!!! Almost double that.

I have never drilled a tank. My lfs will do it for $30 I found out. However I was really thinking I might go that way at some point. The biggest thing is you need to make sure the glass is not tempered. That would make drilling a hole a disaster. The tank I would love to drill I just broke down but it so old I dont even know for sure who made it. So no way to really be 100% on the type of glass. I bought it used in 92.

Guys do you think that acrylic .220 thick should be fine to build the refugium? Home Depot have it for $99 sheet size 36"X72" and 1/4" thk (which is actually .220") 96"X48" cost $178!!! Almost double that.

I bought a sheet of 1/4 inch acrylic at home depot for 13$.. Between practicing and making the baffles for my refugium I used 2 sheets of acrylic. Your going to want to purchase Silicone 1 and let it sit for a few weeks..

Is it necessary to put 3 baffles between skimmer and refugium chamber? This take some space and I thought the baffles are only required between refugium and return chamber to eliminate the bubbles.

My new and final layout. Can you please advise me on were to put valves (if any) and quick disconnect joints.
Also if you have any doubts or tips please share them with me :-)

sump-2.jpg

Last edited:
So far I have read bunch of articles on the internet and most of them says that the fuge needs very little flow.

Back